Assistance Approved for More Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
September 29, 1999
Release Number: 
1303-07

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Four Maryland counties, Calvert, St. Mary's, Somerset and Talbot, are now eligible to apply for state and federal disaster assistance to repair or replace public facilities damaged by Hurricane Floyd and ensuing flooding during the period September 16 to 20, 1999, disaster recovery officials announced today. These counties were previously designated eligible for individual assistance for homeowners, renters, and business owners.

Curt Musgrave, federal coordinating officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said this latest disaster designation means that governmental entities in these counties can apply for help with eligible costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities.

Disaster assistance also may be provided to repair, restore or replace facilities owned by certain private, nonprofit organizations that operate and maintain educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care or other essential governmental service facilities.

Maryland State Coordinating Officer, Dave McMillion, added that local officials have met with representatives of FEMA and the Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) to begin the application process.

According to FEMA officials, 75% of the costs of eligible approved projects will be reimbursed by federal funds. The State of Maryland and the applicant will share the remaining 25%.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top