One Month Left to Apply for State/Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
September 15, 1999
Release Number: 
1286-17

OMAHA, Neb. -- Victims of the Aug. 6-9 severe storms and flooding in Burt, Douglas and Washington counties have just one month left to apply for state and federal disaster assistance.

"Oct. 18 is the last day to call and apply for assistance," said Carlos Mitchell, federal coordinating officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). "If you haven't registered yet but still need help, now is the time to call."

Individuals, families and businesses with damages from the early August storms can register for assistance by calling FEMA at 1-800-462-9029; (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Hours of operation now are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Residents, business owners and local governments became eligible for state and federal disaster assistance on Aug. 20 when President Clinton declared a major disaster for Nebraska. Since then, more than 125 state and federal emergency management staff have been working throughout the three-county area to deliver disaster assistance to those impacted by the flooding.

Fran Laden, assistant director of the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said the recovery process has been going well so far and that many residents already were receiving assistance.

**In the first month since the disaster declaration:

3,161 registrations for disaster assistance have been received;

More than $2.8 million in state and federal disaster assistance has been approved. This is in the form of temporary rental assistance, minimal home repair grants, Individual & Family grants and, from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), low-interest disaster loans;

550 people have visited Disaster Recovery Centers to meet face-to-face with disaster recovery specialists. More than 500 persons visited the center in the Florence Community Center in Omaha and 43 people visited one of two mobile recovery centers, one each in Burt and Washington counties;

More than 2,000 calls have been made to the FEMA Helpline - a number available for disaster registrants who want to check the status of their applications or get questions answered. The Helpline number is 1-800-525-0321, (TTY): 1-800-462-7585. Calls are free and can be taken from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday;

Twenty four local and State governmental entities have applied for state and federal assistance to repair or replace damaged infrastructure and to help pay the eligible costs of debris removal, emergency protective measures and damages to public buildings. Nearly $1.4 million has been approved for helping to pay these costs. Of that approved amount, FEMA pays 75% and the State and the applicant split the remaining 25%.

**All figures are as of close of business, Sept. 14, 1999

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: