Main Content

SBA Paves the Way to Disaster Aid

Release date: 
September 10, 1999
Release Number: 

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- If you've received a disaster loan application from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), federal and state officials urge you to return your completed forms, even if you don't want a loan.

"Completing the SBA loan application does not obligate the applicant to a loan, but is a required step in determining if you are eligible for other types of disaster assistance," explained Bob Churchman, State Coordinating Officer for the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA). "If an individual does not qualify for an SBA loan, the application will be referred to the Individual and Family Grant program."

To be considered for a SBA loan, you first must apply for disaster assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number. "If your family income is above a certain level, you will be provided with a loan package to fill out and return to the SBA," Federal Coordinating Officer Jack Schuback of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said. "Whether or not you qualify for a loan depends, in part, on your ability to repay."

To date, more than 350 SBA loan applications have been issued to McKean County disaster victims and more than $50,000 in disaster loans have been approved to homeowners, renters and businesses to help repair flood damaged property.

To check on the status of your SBA disaster loan application or for assistance in completing SBA forms call the SBA at 1-800-659-2955. If you have other questions about disaster assistance, call the FEMA helpline toll-free number: 1-800-525-0321 or 1-800-660-8005 (TTY) for the speech or hearing impaired.

Those whose homes or businesses sustained damage and who have not applied can still start the process by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number: 1-800-462-9029 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the speech or hearing impaired. The lines are open Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: