Farmers May Be Eligible For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 29, 1999
Release Number: 

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Farmers, ranchers, and agricultural producers who sustained damage to their homes during the July storms and flooding may be eligible for individual disaster assistance, according to officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Iowa Emergency Management Division (IEMD).

Four Iowa counties were included in President Clinton's disaster declaration on July 22. They are Black Hawk, Butler, Jones, and Woodbury.

The disaster assistance made available through this declaration can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, minor home repairs, and other serious disaster-related expenses. Disaster Unemployment Assistance may also be available. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will also be available to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Those in the counties designated for aid to individuals, families and business owners affected by the storms and flooding can apply for assistance by calling FEMA's toll-free registration number: 1-800-462-9029. Persons who are hearing or speech impaired can apply for assistance by calling (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Both numbers are available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., CDT, seven days a week until further notice.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top