COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Colorado Office of Emergency Management and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) have provided disaster assistance of almost $6 million to 2,457 people affected by the severe storms and flooding that occurred between April 29 - May 19.
Assistance available to homeowners, renters and businesses includes FEMA housing assistance, low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration, Disaster Unemployment Assistance for individuals not covered by other types of unemployment benefits, legal services, and, in some cases, grants to cover other uninsured or underinsured losses. The specific amount and type of assistance provided varies from case to case.
Following is a summary of the week's activities:
- The La Junta Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) will be closed on Sunday, July 4, and Monday, July 5, in observance of Independence Day. The DRC will open Tuesday at 10 a.m. with hours Tuesday through Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, and closed on Sunday. The DRC in La Junta is staffed with representatives from FEMA housing and mitigation. To date, DRCs in Colorado have provided information to 784 individuals and business owners in the counties affected by the severe storms and flooding. Individuals with questions about assistance or the status of an application can visit the La Junta DRC, or call the toll-free Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 (TTY 1-800-462-7586).
- The deadline for applying for federal disaster assistance in the designated counties of Bent, El Paso, Larimer, Otero, Pueblo, and Weld is Thursday, July 15, two weeks away. The deadline for applying for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) in Pueblo County is Thursday, July 8. The DUA deadline in the other counties has passed.
- $132,888 in funds for repairing damage to the public infrastructure is now in the process of being distributed to local governments. Affected counties eligible are Bent, Crowley, Custer, El Paso, Elbert, Fremont, Kiowa, Las Animas, Larimer, Otero, Pueblo, and Weld. The federal government, through FEMA's Public Assistance Program, funds 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing, restoring, or replacing damaged public facilities such as roads, bridges and utilities. The remaining 25 percent of the approved costs is divided equally between the state and local governments.
- Victims who have already received some disaster assistance may be eligible for additional assistance through the state-administered Individual and Family Grant Program. This could include disaster-related expenses such as replacement of essential personal property, transportation, or the rental of equipment to help with recovery. To be eligible for additional assistance, by federal law the victims must return their U.S. Small Business Administration loan packet by the July 15 registration deadline whether or not they are eligible for, or want, a SBA loan.
- Residents are warned to be careful when pumping out basements. If a basement is drained too quickly, the pressure outside the walls will be greater than the pressure inside the walls, which can make the walls and floor crack and collapse, causing serious damage to the house's or building's overall structure. More information on flooding and the National Flood Insurance Program can be obtained at the FEMA website, www.fema.gov, or by calling toll free 1-888-CALL-FLOOD.
- As of Friday, July 2, the disaster assistance for Bent, El Paso, Larimer, Otero, Pueblo and Weld counties was almost $6 million. FEMA's Disaster Housing Assistance Program had approved $1,529,843. The State of Colorado-administered Individual and Family Grants Program had approve...