Disaster Assistance Approved For Damaged Public Infrastructure

Main Content
Release date: 
June 29, 1999
Release Number: 
1276-33

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Grants for repairing damage to the public infrastructure such as roads, bridges and utilities that occurred during the spring flooding are now in the process of being distributed to local governments in the affected counties. To date, federal assistance provided under the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance Program totals $132,888. Additional funding dispursements are ongoing.

The May 21 presidential disaster declaration for Bent, El Paso, Larimer, Otero, Weld, Crowley, Custer, Elbert, Fremont, Kiowa, Las Animas and Pueblo counties made them eligible to apply for federal assistance. Federal public assistance funds 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing, restoring or replacing damaged public facilities, according to Federal Coordinating Officer Scott Logan of FEMA. The remaining 25 percent of the approved costs is divided equally between the state and local governments.

The late April and early May storms and flooding "devastated many Colorado communities," said State Coordinating Officer Tommy Grier. "Restoring roads and other public facilities to their pre-flood condition is an enormous burden on local budgets. Federal assistance puts communities on the road to recovery much faster than would otherwise be possible."

In El Paso County, the city of Palmer Lake has been initially approved for $35,513 for the repair of roads damaged in the spring flooding, and Palmer Lake Sanitation approved for $8,387 for the repair of a sewer line. The Fountain Sanitation District is approved for $1,804 for the rental of a generator to supply temporary service, and Manitou Springs School District 14 is approved for $1,000 for repair of a high-school track.

The city of Crowley will initially receive $2,208 for a city sewer lagoon and $2,549 to repair a storm-damaged museum. Sugar City is approved for $28,907 for road repairs, and the city of Ordway is approved for $2,630 for repairs to the town's water supply.

In Bent County, the city of Las Animas is initially approved for $31,350 for sewer system repairs.

Custer County will receive $18,538 for road repairs.

Although the application period for public assistance has closed, assistance to individuals and business owners may still be available. Residents of Bent, El Paso, Larimer, Otero, Pueblo, and Weld counties who have not registered for disaster assistance should call the toll-free registration line at 1-800-462-9029 (TTY 1-800-462-7585) before July 16 to begin the application process. Victims of the spring flooding who have questions about the status of an application should call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 (TTY 1-800-462-7585).

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top