North Dakotans to Receive State Grant Funds

Main Content
Release date: 
June 25, 1999
Release Number: 
1279-11

BISMARCK, N.D. -- As part of the Federal/State disaster relief in North Dakota, the Individual and Family Grant (IFG) Program has been activated to help North Dakotans cover the costs of necessary expenses and serious disaster-related needs that are not covered by insurance or other programs.

The Individual and Family Grants may be used to cover disaster-related expenses such as essential home repairs, replacement of personal property and transportation. Grants may also be used for items not normally covered under the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan programs such as disaster related medical and dental bills and funeral costs.

State officials are processing more than 1,000 requests already received for IFG assistance. The initial processing of these claims falls right in the middle of computer systems upgrading and the State's transition to a new biennium.

"We are taking the extra effort to make sure that eligible grants get out to individuals as early as Monday of next week," said State Coordinating Officer Adjutant General Keith Bjerke. "We understand the importance of getting aid out as quickly as possible, and we are doing it manually while the upgrades are being done."

The IFG program is administered by the state, which also pays 25 percent of the grant amounts. The federal government provides the remaining 75 percent of the costs for grant awards.

"The federal/state partnership that is in place is critical in getting this assistance to those in need." said Bjerke. "This partnership encompasses all aspects of the joint recovery effort."

To date, more than 3,000 applications have been taken for disaster assistance statewide. Recovery officials are urging those individuals who have been affected by the disaster and have not yet registered to do so by calling the toll-free registration number at 1-800-462-9029 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585). Individuals can register Monday-Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top