Disaster Unemployment Deadline Imminent

Main Content
Release date: 
June 18, 1999
Release Number: 

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- State and federal officials have announced June 25 as the deadline for applying for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) for people who are out of work due to storms, flooding, and tornadoes that struck the state in May. Residents of Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Harrison, Jones, and Linn counties have one week left to apply.

Individuals must apply during the open application period, even if they do not expect to receive benefits immediately.

This program extends coverage to people ineligible for unemployment compensation under the regular state unemployment insurance program. Those who may qualify include self-employed persons, farm workers, farm and ranch owners, agricultural producers, commission-paid employees and others not covered by regular programs who lost work as a result of the disaster. Individuals who are not sure if they qualify under this program should apply anyway to ensure that everyone who is eligible is assisted.

Persons applying for unemployment benefits should be able to provide proof of past earnings at the time they file a claim, such as business records or bank statements and their 1998 or most recent income tax forms. DUA claims may be filed at any Iowa Workforce Development Center throughout the state. Iowa Workforce Development will also assist DUA claimants in finding reemployment through testing, counseling, and placement services.

Everyone who was adversely affected by the storms, flooding and tornadoes, May 16-29, is encouraged to register with FEMA by calling 1-800-462-9029. Those wishing to follow up on an application can call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-525-0321. People with hearing or speech impairments may call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Registration and Helpline numbers are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., CDT, Monday through Friday. Closed Saturday and Sunday.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top