Main Content

Disaster Declaration Makes Available Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
June 14, 1999
Release Number: 

BISMARCK, N.D. -- If you registered damages with a county emergency management office it does not mean you are registered with the federal and state disaster assistance programs recently made available for weather-affected North Dakotans, state and federal recovery officials said today.

"We previously asked county residents to register any damages they had with local officials to help us gather information to support a request for a federal disaster declaration by the President," said State Coordinating Officer Adjutant General Keith D. Bjerke

"Now that the President has declared 34 North Dakota counties and three Indian reservations federal disaster areas, those who registered with the counties must also call the toll-free registration line to register for federal disaster assistance," he said.

The number is 1-800-462-9029 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585). It currently is available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.

We appreciate all those who listed their damages with the counties," Bjerke added, "because that information was very helpful in assembling the justification for a federal disaster declaration. It was a very important contribution to getting federal disaster assistance for our citizens," he said.

"It is important that citizens who have experienced damage from this disaster register for federal assistance and not rule themselves out of possibly receiving help," said Federal Coordinating Officer Lesli A. Rucker of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. "Calling 1-800-462-9029 will make you available to a wide range of federal and state programs designed to help assist you with the recovery."

Rucker said it is an easy, simple process and should take no more than about a 20-minute interview to obtain the information needed. It would help the process if you can supply the following information: insurance coverage for damages, address and telephone number of damage residence, directions to the damage residence, telephone number of where you are staying if it is other than the damaged residence, a general description of your situation and needs.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: