Public Assistance Approved for 10 Iowa Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
May 25, 1999
Release Number: 
1277-03

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Ten Iowa counties are now eligible to apply for state and federal disaster assistance to repair or replace public facilities damaged by severe storms, flooding, and tornadoes on May 16, disaster recovery officials announced today.

The counties eligible for the Public Assistance Program are Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Harrison, Jones, and Linn. All of the counties were previously eligible for individual assistance for homeowners, renters, and business owners.

Curt Musgrave, federal coordinating officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said this latest disaster designation means that governmental entities in these counties can apply for help with eligible costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities.

Disaster assistance also may be provided to repair, restore or replace facilities owned by certain private, nonprofit organizations that operate and maintain educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care or other essential governmental service facilities.

Iowa State Coordinating Officer, Jerry Ostendorf, added that the first step toward providing assistance would be an applicant's briefing for local officials and certain non-profit organizations. The Iowa Emergency Management Division (IEMD) will conduct these briefings. The dates and times will be announced when the schedule has been finalized.

According to FEMA officials, 75% of the costs of eligible approved projects will be reimbursed by federal funds. The State of Iowa and the applicant will share the remaining 25%.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top