Federal Assistance Available to Everyone - Regardless of Income, Insurance, Other Factors

Main Content
Release date: 
May 17, 1999
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- Many residents of Reno, Sedgwick and Sumner counties received losses and damage from the severe storms and tornadoes on May 3. Anyone who suffered storm-related damage should call the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) toll-free registration number (1-800-462-9029).

"Federal and state disaster assistance is available for everyone, whether your income is low or high, whether or not you have insurance," said Federal Coordinating Officer Curt Musgrave. Specific decisions on loans and grants are made on a case-by-case basis.

Everyone should register with FEMA as soon as possible after receiving storm damage. There is no need to worry that your grant or loan will prevent others with greater needs from getting disaster assistance.

"We hope that all storm victims in the Wichita region, regardless of income, insurance or any other factors, will register with FEMA's toll-free numbers," said State Coordinating Officer Terri Ploger.

Remember, registering with the American Red Cross (ARC) or any other agency does not make you eligible for federal assistance. Only FEMA registration can do that.

Call FEMA's toll-free registration number, 1-800-462-9029 (TTY-1-800-462-7585).

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top