Main Content

12 Colorado Counties Declared for Disaster Assistance for Damages to Public Infrastructure

Main Content
Release date: 
May 17, 1999
Release Number: 

DENVER, Colo. -- Disaster assistance under the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) and State of Colorado Public Assistance program for damages to public infrastructure has been made available to 12 Colorado counties, disaster recovery officials announced today.

Federal Coordinating Officer Scott Logan of FEMA said, "The Colorado counties of Bent, El Paso, Larimer, Otero, Weld (already designated for Individual Assistance), Crowley, Custer, Elbert, Fremont, Kiowa, Las Animas and Pueblo have been made eligible for disaster assistance under the Public Assistance Program."

State Coordinating Officer Tommy Grier of the Colorado Office of Emergency Management said, "We will schedule applicant briefings for potential eligible damage recovery next week for local officials on how to apply or reimbursements under the program."

The Public Assistance Program is a reimbursement program for eligible damages and expenses incurred by state agencies, local governments and certain non-profit agencies providing a government like service as a result of late April and early May storms and flooding.

The State of Colorado manages the program. FEMA provides 75 percent of the funding and non-federal sources make up the other 25 percent.

Among eligible categories for reimbursement are debris removal, emergency response measures, and damages to roads, bridges, and public facilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top