Main Content

Agencies Workinig to Find Housing for Displaced Residents

Release date: 
May 11, 1999
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- Officials with the state of Oklahoma, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development are working together to find housing for families displaced by the tornadoes, severe storms and flooding that occurred May 3-5.

"We are working hard to survey the area and are finding places that can be good temporary homes for individuals and families," said Fred Liebe, state coordinating officer with the Oklahoma Department of Civil Emergency Management.

Liebe said that people who were made homeless by the storms should first apply for assistance by calling 800-462-9029 (TTY: 800-462-7585). They then will be given a number that they can call to get information on housing available in their area, Liebe said.

Applicants also will be able to get information about housing at the four Disaster Recovery Centers open in Oklahoma. Officials from various state and federal agencies are staffing the centers to help answer people's questions about disaster aid. Here are the locations of the centers:

South Metro Center, Super Flea Bingo Building
2600 S.W. Service Road
Moore (Cleveland County)

Bank One Building
7400 S. Pennsylvania
Oklahoma City (Oklahoma County)

Circuit City Building
6830 E. Reno Road
Midwest City (Oklahoma County)

Bridge Creek School District
New High School Gym
Rt. 1, off Sara Road & Bridge Creek Road

All centers are open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 1 to 7 p.m. Sunday until further notice.

In addition to the help locating available housing, FEMA also provides rental assistance to eligible owners or tenants whose primary residences were made unlivable by the storm.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: