This monthly update is produced in an effort to keep hazardous materials program personnel up to date in the areas of exercises, training, and planning. If you have a contribution or wish other items posted in this "Update", please contact Mike Hammond at FEMA Region X headquarters at (425) 487 4775 or email at, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This update is for the period of 5-1-99 to 8-1-99.
Quotes of the Month
"The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility" (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns." (Anon.)
Web Page Highlight (Your Additions are Welcome)
Hazardous Materials Management
http://www.hazmatmag.com By a company from Markham, Ontario, Canada. Contains articles from prior month's magazines. Last time I checked, there was a good article on terrorism that could be printed.
United States Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board.
www.chemsafety.gov Lots of interesting articles from a fairly new entity that investigates injuries and deaths due to accidents and incidents involving chemicals.
State Emergency Management Web Site Addresses
In the April "Update" I included a "." after "us", please eliminate the "."
IdahoAt the end of the Idaho HazMat address, some people may have to enter the letters html instead of htm.
Washington 6-3-99, Camp Murray.
Oregon April 30, 1999, Salem, Quarterly LEPC meeting
Idaho As Needed, Contact Bill Bishop for more information. (208) 334 3263
4-13-99, Anchorage, SERC
4-12-99, Anchorage, LEPC planning meet
7-20-99, Anchorage, LEPC workshop
7-21-99, Anchorage, SERC Meeting
Contact the Provider or Mike Hammond for More Information. Course Dates and Times may Change, be Sure to Check Before the Class
- 5-1-99 to 5-2-99. Emergency Response to Terrorism; Basic concepts. Call Bob Berney (360) 675 2636 for Info
- 5-7-99 to 5-9-99. Mitigation for Emergency Managers, Boise
- 5-11-99 to 5-13-99. Regional Coastal Earthquake Conference. Seattle. Contact WA DEM at (253) 512-7069
- 5-12-99 RMP training Course on 112r, Seattle. 8 Hour class. Contact Lisa McArthur, EPA, at (206) 553 0383
- 5-14-99 Same class as above, Portland.
- 5-26-99 Same as the two above, back in Seattle.
- 5-17-99 to 5-19-99. Effective Communication (PDS) Richland, WA. Sponsored by Washington Emergency Management
- 5-10-99 RMP planning course, Fairbanks.
- 5-10-99 to 5-14-99. E227 Emergency Planning Course, Emmitsburg. FEMA Course ...