Vice President Announces $1.5 Million FEMA Grant For Carteret County Mitigation Project

Main Content
Release date: 
March 18, 1999
Release Number: 
HQ-99-072

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Vice President Gore announced today that more than $1.5 million in federal funding will be made available by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for elevating homes in a flood zone of unincorporated areas of eastern Carteret County, N.C.

"Reducing disaster damage and the human suffering it causes is a top priority," Vice President Gore said. "What we invest to minimize risks today will pay off in a far safer and less costly future for our families, homes and livelihoods."

The funding is being provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program to elevate 62 homes located north of U.S. Highway 70 on Merrimon and Laurel Roads, Brien Taylor, Marshall and Trotter Lanes, and Johnson Drive. The residences have experienced repeated flooding that stems from the nearby North River.

The FEMA grant, totaling $1,519,491, represents the 75 percent federal share of the $2,025,987 project cost. The remaining 25 percent will be provided by the state.

The project's mission is to elevate the Outer Banks homes 2 feet above base flood elevation. Two other residences will be acquired, razed and the sites returned to open space.

According to the agency, some of the other residences in the area were so heavily damaged by floodwater from Hurricane Fran in 1996 that they will be torn down and new, elevated structures built on the sites. FEMA will pay part of the cost for the elevation, with the purchase of the new houses coming from other funding sources.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
Back to Top