Main Content

Federal Funds Available for Arkansas Hazard Mitigation Projects

Main Content
Release date: 
March 1, 1999
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- March 1, 1999 Following the presidential disaster declaration of Jan. 23, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will provide funding for projects to reduce risk from future disasters in Arkansas. Eligible applicants include state and local governments, and certain private non-profit organizations.

Federal Coordinating Officer Graham Nance said that the grants can be provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program to help pay for long-term, cost-effective measures aimed at reducing or preventing future damage. "FEMA also may be able to fund some mitigation measures taken in the repair and reconstruction of public facilities that were damaged in the disaster," Nance said.

"The people of Arkansas understand the importance of hazard control measures," State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell said. "We have used hazard mitigation funds in the past and as a result, damages from subsequent natural disasters were likely less severe then they might have been."

FEMA will fund up to 75 percent of the eligible costs of each approved project under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The other 25 percent of eligible costs will be divided evenly between the State Office of Emergency Services (OES) and the applicant for approved mitigation grants. The amount of funding available for the grants is determined by calculating 15 percent of the projected grants made under Infrastructure and Human Services disaster assistance programs plus non-administrative mission assignments for the disaster.

For more information about funding for hazard mitigation measures, potential applicants should contact the Arkansas Hazard Mitigation Officer, Terry Gray, at 501-730-9750. Applications for hazard mitigation grants are made through the Arkansas Emergency Management Agency, which administers the program.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top