Vice President Announces $1.4 Million FEMA Mitigation Grant to Des Moines

Main Content
Release date: 
February 17, 1999
Release Number: 
HQ-99-037

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Vice President Gore announced today that an estimated $1,445,366 in federal funding will be made available by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help reduce the risk of future flood losses in Des Moines, Iowa.

"Minimizing the impact of future disasters is a top priority, especially when it involves the safety of our families, their homes and their livelihood," Vice President Gore said. "Money spent in reducing risks today will save lives, property and money in the future."

John A. Miller, director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., said that the funding is being provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) to move residential structures out of harm's way from potential flooding. The city will voluntarily acquire and remove flood-prone residential property in the special flood hazard areas. The acquired land will be permanently dedicated to municipal open space, recreational, or wetland uses.

"FEMA's goal is to help reduce both the potential for future flood damage and the corresponding human suffering it causes," Miller said. "Iowa communities continue to join in this partnership in a concerted effort to solve their flooding problems and develop disaster-resistant communities."

Miller credited the project's approval to the careful and intense efforts by the three involved partners, namely the Iowa Emergency Management Division, the city of Des Moines and FEMA.

"Removing people from harm's way and protecting facilities that provide essential services are important steps in making a community more resistant to future disasters," Miller said. "I commend the state of Iowa and the city of Des Moines for their efforts."

The $1,445,366 grant represents FEMA's 75 percent contribution to the project. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $1,928,488. The remaining 25 percent will be provided by the state and local governments.

FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program funds projects that lessen or eliminate the loss of lives and property in future disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
Back to Top