Main Content

Help Available for Transportation Needs

Main Content
Release date: 
December 11, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- If your vehicle was damaged or destroyed by the severe storms and flooding you may be eligible to receive help meeting disaster related transportation needs.

In certain instances, loans or grants may be authorized to repair or replace disaster-damaged vehicles or to help provide alternate safe and reliable transportation, including public transportation.

Applicants must meet a number of criteria to be eligible for transportation assistance. You will need to demonstrate a valid and essential need for transportation help, which cannot be met through insurance or other sources. If you are seeking help for a damaged vehicle, you must show that you are the legal owner and that it was properly licensed to you at the time of the disaster. Eligible vehicles included, but are not limited to, automobiles, vans, pick-up trucks, and motorcycles. Damage must have been caused by the disaster during the established incident period - in this case October 30 through November 15, 1998, in a designated Kansas county. The actual costs of repairs necessary to meet State requirements for safe and reliable transportation is typically eligible, cosmetic repairs are not.

Help is provided only for the primary family vehicle. If the family does not have a usable vehicle, the circumstances resulting in the need for repair or replacement must be determined to be disaster-related. If the applicant has one or more usable vehicles, and that number is considered adequate to meet the family's needs, then a serious need for transportation does not exist and repair or replacement of any other private vehicles damaged during the disaster is ineligible. Unusual circumstances may be considered, when one vehicle cannot meet the family's essential transportation needs.

Anyone who sustained damage from the flooding and severe storms which occurred between October 30 and November 15, 1998, should register with FEMA by calling the toll-free teleregistration number: 1-800-462-9029. TTY service is available at 1-800-462-7585 for anyone who is hearing or speech impaired. The registration numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (CST), Monday through Friday.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: