KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Disaster assistance for residents and business owners in St. Louis city and county topped $2.1 million, according to state and federal disaster recovery officials. The aid is being provided following President Clinton's disaster declaration for severe storms and flooding that occurred in July.
The following is a summary of ongoing response and recovery efforts by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and is current as of Dec. 10, 1998
- December 18 is the last day for anyone affected by the July storms and flooding to apply for federal and state disaster assistance through the toll-free registration number. That is also the deadline for submitting loan applications to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for disaster-related losses to real and personal property
- As of Thursday, Dec. 10, a total of 2,231 residents and business owners in St. Louis city and county had applied for disaster assistance through FEMA's toll-free registration line.
- More than $1.3 million in disaster housing checks have been approved to assist St. Louis-area storm victims in making minimal home repairs and/or to pay for temporary housing until repairs can be made.
- A total of $440,491 in Individual and Family Grant Program (IFG) funds have been approved. The grants are designed to help with the costs of serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other programs.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved $212,200 in low-interest disaster loans.
- A total of 2,276 inspections have been completed. Five (5) inspectors are currently completing their work in the St. Louis area.
- FEMA's toll-free registration number is available to homeowners, renters and business owners who suffered losses from severe storms and flooding July 10-31. To register disaster victims can call
1-800-462-9029 or TTY 1-800-660-8005. Regular hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- For disaster victims who have already registered but who want to check the status of their applications or provide FEMA with vital information regarding their cases, the disaster information Helpline number is 1-800-525-0321 or TTY 1-800-660-8005. The Helpline will be avilable for applicants after the registration deadline. Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.