KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Federal, state, local and voluntary agencies are working in partnership to help Kansas residents following the recent severe storms and floods. The following is a summary of ongoing response and recovery efforts for the week of November 16 to 20. The Kansas Division of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will update this information biweekly from the Joint Information Center at Kansas City, Kansas.
- More than 1,760 victims of the recent severe storms and floods have registered for assistance through FEMA's toll-free registration line as of November 19, 1998.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved $615,600 in disaster loans.
- To date, $2,579,992 was paid in grants for temporary housing needs, including minor home repairs.
- To date, $560,566 in grants for disaster-related necessary expenses have been awarded through the Individual and Family Grant Program.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance: Available to eligible applicants through Kansas Department of Human Services: 1-800-292-6333
Important Telephone Numbers:
TOLL-FREE REGISTRATION 1-800-462-9029
INFORMATION HELPLINE 1-800-525-0321*
Phone lines are operational from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST, Monday - Friday except Thanksgiving Day.
*The helpline addresses questions and makes referrals. It is not for initial registration.