Main Content

SBA Disaster Forms Not Just for Businesses

Main Content
Release date: 
November 18, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- In the aftermath of the floods that struck Kansas, people who seek disaster assistance may find that they have also been issued a U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loan application. These forms are sent to all applicants (both individuals and business owners) who may qualify for a loan. This form must be completed and returned before any further assistance can be considered.

The SBA can provide loans to homeowners and renters, as well as businesses, to help pay for the repair or replacement of disaster losses. These loans are at low interest rates and long terms that make the loans affordable to almost any budget. The SBA can loan up to $200,000 to repair homes and up to $40,000 to replace disaster-damaged personal property.

"It is important that you complete this application if you need financial assistance," said Federal Coordinating Officer Carol Coleman. "The SBA loan is an important source of recovery funds. If you do not qualify for a loan, you may be considered for a grant from the Individual and Family Grant Program. To receive either a loan or a grant however, you must complete and return the SBA loan application. If you think you cannot afford a loan you must still fill out the SBA loan application to be considered for a possible loan or grant."

Angee Morgan, individual assistance officer, Kansas Division of Emergency Management, stated, "If, after returning the packet, you qualify for the Individual and Family Grant program, you will receive a check and letter explaining the losses for which you are being reimbursed. If you qualify for all that is eligible under the program, the check amount can be up to $13,600. The average amount is about $2,000."

People who suffered damage from the flooding between October 30 and November 15, who have not applied, should call the toll-free registration number to begin the recovery process. FEMA's toll-free registration number is 1-800-462-9029. For the hearing- or speech-impaired, the TTY number is 1-800-462-7585. The registration telephone number is available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday until further notice.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: