Main Content

Need Help - Register With FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
November 11, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Where do you go from here - now that the storms have subsided and the flood waters are receding? One of the first steps in the recovery process should be a call to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

A call to FEMA will connect you with many federal and state programs designed to assist in your recovery from the recent violent weather. Registering with other relief agencies, such as the American Red Cross, will not connect you with FEMA or the State of Kansas disaster assistance programs. To obtain assistance from these programs you must call 1-800-462-9029.

Assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, minor home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U. S. Small Business Administration also will be available to defray residential and business losses not covered by insurance.

Homeowners, renters, farmers, agricultural producers, and business owners who sustained damage in Butler, Chase, Coffey, Cowley, Franklin, Harvey, Lyon, Neosho, Sedgwick, Sumner and Wilson Counties as a result of the severe storms and flooding starting on October 30 should register with FEMA for disaster assistance.

It takes about a 15 minute phone call to the FEMA toll-free teleregistration number: 1-800-462-9029. TTY service is available at 1-800-462-7585 for anyone who is hearing or speech impaired. The registration numbers are available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CST), seven days a week until further notice.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: