Think About Flood Insurance

Main Content
Release date: 
November 10, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- In the aftermath of the severe October storms and flooding, officials are urging homeowners, renters and businesses to purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

"You can buy federal flood insurance no matter where you live if your community participates in the NFIP", said Carol Coleman, federal coordinating officer. "The program was created to provide affordable flood insurance to people who live in areas with risk of flooding."

If you live in an area that is not flood-prone, it's still advisable to have flood insurance. Between 25 and 30 percent of the NFIP's claims come from floods occuring outside high-risk areas.

Many homeowners do not realize that their homeowners insurance does not cover flooding until it is too late. Only national flood insurance protects you in a flood event. Coverage is available for both the structure and the contents of your home.

NFIP flood insurance is sold through private insurance companies and agents, and is backed by the federal government. Call your insurance agent today and ask about flood insurance coverage.

Homeowners, renters and business owners who sustained damage as a result of the severe storms and flooding that started on October 30 should register with FEMA for disaster assistance.

It takes about a 15 minute phone call to the FEMA toll-free teleregistration number: 1-800-462-9029. TTY service is available at 1-800-462-7585 for anyone who is hearing or speech impaired. The registration numbers are available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CST), seven days a week until further notice.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top