22 Flooded Counties Eligible for Additional Infrastructure Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
November 5, 1998
Release Number: 

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- State and local governments, special tax districts and certain nonprofit organizations in 22 storm-damaged counties can now apply for financial assistance to recoup flood-related losses to road systems, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, public utility systems and park and recreational facilities, according to federal and state officials.

This assistance is in addition to initial funding for emergency services and debris removal approved following the severe storms, flooding and tornadoes that began Oct. 17. The additional types of help followed a detailed field assessment review.

"Our local officials face an awesome task as they continue to cope with the devastating effects the flooding has had upon both the citizens and local economy," said State Coordinating Officer Ed Laundy, Division of Emergency Management (DEM). "Additional assistance to public facilities can provide much needed support to local governments at a time when they need it most."

The 22 counties include: Austin, Bastrop, Bexar, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Colorado, Comal, DeWitt, Fayette, Goliad, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Jackson, Karnes, Montgomery, Refugio, Victoria, Waller, Wharton and Wilson.

Local governments and nonprofit organizations have until Nov. 22 to request assistance. They may do so by attending one of the applicant's briefings currently scheduled as follows:

Thursday, Nov. 5, 9 a.m.
Guadalupe County Administrative Building
307 W. Court, Seguin

Thursday, Nov. 5, 1 p.m.
Bastrop City Hall
904 Main St., Bastrop

Friday, Nov. 6, 10 a.m.
Colorado County Courthouse
400 Spring St., 2nd floor

Friday, Nov. 6, 1:30 p.m.
Waller County Assembly Room
836 Austin, Hempstead

Monday, Nov. 9, 2 p.m.
Victoria County Health Department
2801 N. Navarro, Victoria

Individuals who have suffered damages as a result of the flooding are encouraged to apply for disaster assistance by calling FEMA's toll-free registration number at 1-800-462-9029. Those with hearing or speech impairments can register by calling 1-800-462-7585. The telephone numbers will be operational from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week until further notice.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top