Main Content

Jackson County Residents Can Register for Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 23, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jackson County residents and small business owners who suffered flooding damages from the July 10-31 storms now can register for state and federal disaster assistance.

Registrations for disaster assistance can begin immediately by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at 1-800-462-9029. For those who are hearing or speech impaired, the number is 1-800-462-7585. The call is free and recovery specialists can take registrations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week until further notice.

Because of the heavy number of calls for assistance by disaster survivors in many other states, residents are asked to try again if they first get a busy signal. Callers should be prepared to provide the following information: name, social security number, income, insurance coverage, address of the damaged property and a phone number where they currently can be reached. Jackson Countians may be asked additional questions such as when the flood damage occurred (July, October or both) and the type of damage suffered in each incident.

"Calling FEMA's toll-free registration number is the first step in the flood damage recovery process," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Curt Musgrave.

Musgrave added that even those who have already repaired property damage from the July storms should call and register for assistance. Eligibility may be determined by the use of receipts, if available, a visual inspection and additional information or documentation provided by the homeowner or occupant.

The assistance programs include: grants for short-term rental needs; grants to make minimal home repairs; low-interest U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans to repair major damage and/or replace damaged personal property; grants to meet serious disaster-related needs not covered by other programs, and disaster unemployment assistance.

Jerry B. Uhlmann, director of the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) said, "We want to help citizens who suffered flooding damages, begin the recovery process. We hope that anyone who needs help will not wait to call."

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top