Housing Assistance Checks go to Missouri and Kansas Disaster Victims

Main Content
Release date: 
October 23, 1998
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- In the first week since President Clinton declared parts of Missouri and Kansas major disaster areas, nearly $450,000 in disaster assistance has gone out to eligible disaster survivors.

In the Missouri counties of Carroll, Clay and Jackson, more than $316,000 in disaster housing checks have already been issued to eligible applicants.

In Kansas, checks totaling more than $131,000 for disaster housing have been issued so far to eligible applicants in Johnson, Seward and Wyandotte counties. Residents of Douglas and Leavenworth counties just became eligible to apply on Thursday.

Assistance programs available because of the October 14 presidential declarations for Missouri and Kansas include: grants for short-term rental needs; grants to make minimal home repairs; grants to meet serious disaster-related needs not covered by other programs; low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters or business owners; special assistance for agricultural workers, farm owners and ranchers, and disaster unemployment assistance.

Those who sustained damage to their primary residence or business as a result of the severe storms and flooding in early October should apply for disaster assistance by calling toll-free 1-800-462-9029. Hearing or speech-impaired applicants may call TTY 1-800-462-7585. The telephone numbers are operational from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily until further notice. Should you receive a busy signal due to the current heavy call volume, please keep trying until you reach help.

Residents of Jackson County, Missouri are reminded that if they sustained damage in storms from July 10-31, they may be eligible for assistance and should call the toll-free registration number to apply.

To date 1,688 individuals and businesses in three affected Missouri counties, and 991 in five Kansas counties have registered for assistance. Officials emphasize that renters, as well as homeowners, can apply for state and federal help.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top