Map Modernization is responding to National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requirements and feedback provided by Federal, State, and local Program stakeholders.
- Flood hazard conditions are dynamic, and many NFIP maps may not reflect recent development and/or natural changes in the environment.
- Updated NFIP maps can take advantage of revised data and improved technologies for identifying flood hazards.
- Up-to-date maps support a flood insurance program that is more closely aligned with actual risk, encourage wise community-based floodplain management, and improve citizens’ flood hazard awareness.
- Local communities and various stakeholders desired more timely updates of flood maps and easier access to the flood hazard data used to create the maps.
- Map Modernization is a cornerstone for helping community officials and citizens be better prepared for flood-related disasters.
07/24/2014 - 16:00