This page provides information about the National Advisory Council, current membership, meeting information, and more.
The National Advisory Council (NAC) was established by the enactment of the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006 to ensure effective and ongoing coordination of Federal preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation for natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other manmade disasters. The NAC advises the FEMA Administrator on all aspects of emergency management. The NAC incorporates state, local, and tribal governments; nonprofit, and private sector input in the development and revision of the National Preparedness Goal, the National Preparedness System, the National Incident Management System, and other related plans and strategies.
The NAC consists of up to 35 members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Administrator. Members are designated as Representatives, Special Government Employees (SGEs), or Ex Officio. SGEs are defined in section 202(a) of Title 18 United States Code. To the extent practicable, the members are geographically diverse and represent a substantive cross-section of officials, emergency managers, and emergency response providers from state, local, and tribal governments, the private sector, and nongovernmental organizations.
The current members of the NAC are listed below. The Administrator appoints one member of the NAC as the Chair and one member as the Vice Chair. Currently, Jim Featherstone is the Chair, and Teresa Scott is the Vice Chair. Read the complete list of members.
The Administrator appointed new members to the NAC in August 2014. Read the news release about the appointed members.
- James Akerelrea - Elected Tribal Government Officials - Rep
- Beth Armstrong - Standard Settings and Accrediting - Rep
- Meloyde Batten-Mickens - Administrator Selection - Rep
- Joseph Bolkcom - Elected State Government Officials - Rep
- Sarita Chung - In-Patient Medical Providers - SGE
- Mark Cooper - Emergency Management - Rep
- Jeanne-Aimee De Marrais - Administrator Selection – SGE
- Jerry Demings – Elected Local Government Officials
- Gerard Dio - Emergency Response Providers - Rep
- Nancy Dragani - Non-Elected State Government Officials - Rep
- Jim Featherstone - Emergency Management - Rep
- Lee Feldman - Administrator Selection - SGE
- Scott Field - Non-Elected Local Government Officials - Rep
- Jeffrey Hansen - Non-Elected Tribal Government Officials - Rep
- Chris Howell - FEMA Administrator Selection - Rep
- June Kailes - Functional and Access Needs - SGE
- Emily Kidd - Emergency Medical Providers - SGE
- Nim Kidd - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Anne Kronenberg - Emergency Response Providers - SGE
- Linda Langston - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Christopher Littlewood - Disabilities - SGE
- Suzet McKinney - Public Health - SGE
- Gerald Parker - Health Scientist - SGE
- Samantha Phillips - Emergency Management - Rep
- Thomas Powers - Cyber Security - SGE
- Richard Reed - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Robert Salesses - U.S. Department of Defense - Ex Officio
- Pat Santos - Emergency Response Providers - Rep
- Teresa Scott - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Guy Swan - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Fritz Wilson - Standard Settings and Accrediting - Rep
- Phil Zarlengo - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Daniel Zarrilli - Infrastructure Protection - SGE
For more information on membership applications, visit our application page.
For more information on the meeting and other past meetings, view a list of previous meetings and related materials.
The NAC may establish subcommittees and working groups for any purpose consistent with its Charter. Subcommittees and working groups may not work independently from the NAC and must report their recommendations and advice to the NAC for full deliberation and discussions. Subcommittees and working groups have no authority to make decisions on behalf of the NAC and may not report directly to the Administrator or any other entity.
Currently, the NAC has three standing subcommittees and one working group: the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Subcommittee, the Preparedness and Protection Subcommittee, the Response and Recovery Subcommittee, and the Interdisciplinary Collaboration Working Group.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the March 2015 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on March 31, 2015. Read memo.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the September 2014 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on October 15, 2014. Read memo and FEMA's response.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the March 2014 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on May 6, 2014. Read the memo and FEMA's response.
For more information about the NAC or questions about this page, please contact the Office of the National Advisory Council.
Phone: (202) 646-2700
Fax: (540) 504-2331
Office of the National Advisory Council
Federal Emergency Management Agency
500 C Street SW
Washington, DC 20472-3184