If the land use in your project area has ever been commercial or industrial, or if there are any indicators of the presence of hazardous materials as described in Section H.1, you should contact your county or state hazardous materials agency to find out if there are any studies, investigations, or enforcement actions related to your site.
In your communication with the state or local hazardous materials agency, you should:
- indicate that you are applying for federal aid, and you are requesting information about the presence or potential for the presence of hazardous materials, on or near your project area
- include in your communication the name of the nearest city and the names of the county and state where the project will occur
- include a detailed description of the proposed project and past land uses
- include a 1:24, 000 scale USGS map showing the project boundaries
- Include photographs of the project site