Total Funding Available in FY 2011: $10,000,000
Purpose: Tribal Homeland Security Grant Program (THSGP) provides supplemental funding directly to eligible tribes to help strengthen the nation against risks associated with potential terrorist attacks.
Eligible Applicants: Per the 9/11 Act, a “directly eligible tribe” is defined as -
- Any Indian tribe -
- that is located in the continental United States;
- that operates a law enforcement or emergency response agency with the
capacity to respond to calls for law enforcement or emergency services;
- that is located on or near an international border or a coastline bordering an ocean (including the Gulf of Mexico) or international waters;
- that is located within 10 miles of a system or asset included on the prioritized critical infrastructure list established under section 210E(a)(2) or has such a system or asset within its territory;
- that is located within or contiguous to 1 of the 50 most populous metropolitan statistical areas in the United States; or
- the jurisdiction of which includes not less than 1,000 square miles of Indian country, as that term is defined in section 1151 of title 18, United States Code; and
- that certifies to the Secretary that a state has not provided funds under section 2003 or 2004 to the Indian tribe or consortium of Indian tribes for the purpose for which direct funding is sought; and
- a consortium of Indian tribes, if each tribe satisfies the requirements of subparagraph (A).
In summary, eligible tribes must meet the requirements set forth in (A) (i), and (A) (ii), and (A) (iv). Tribes must also meet one of the requirements set forth in (A) (iii); either (A) (iii) (I), or (A) (iii) (II), or (A) (iii) (III), or (A) (iii) (IV). Finally, (B) may also be satisfied, if each tribe satisfies the requirements of subparagraph (A).
Program Awards: FY 2011 THSGP funds will be allocated based on two factors: tribal eligibility per the 9/11 Act (self-certified) and the effectiveness of the applicant’s THSGP Investment Justification (as determined through a peer review process). Grantees may provide an optional cost match; however, an applicant’s willingness to contribute an optional cost match will not impact application scores and, thus, allocations.
- FY 2011 THSGP Guidance and Application Kit (PDF 173KB, TXT 90KB)
- FY 2011 THSGP Award Administration Information (PDF 340KB, TXT 56KB)
- FY 2011 THSGP FAQs (PDF 74KB, TXT 7KB)
- FY 2011 THSGP Factsheet (PDF 128KB, TXT 7KB)
- FY 2011 THSGP Investment Justification Reference Guide (PDF 138KB, TXT 23KB)
- FY 2011 THSGP Investment Justification Template (PDF 181KB, TXT 36KB)