Total Funding Available in FY 2010: up to $10 Million
Purpose: The FY 2010 Tribal Homeland Security Grant Program (THSGP) provides funds to directly eligible tribes to help strengthen the Nation against risks associated with potential terrorist attacks. Pursuant to the 9/11 Act, a directly eligible tribe applying for a grant shall designate an individual to serve as a tribal liaison with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other Federal, State, local, and regional government officials concerning preventing, preparing for, protecting against, and responding to acts of terrorism.
Eligible Applicants: Per the 9/11 Act, a “directly eligible tribe” is defined as -
- Any Indian tribe -
- that is located in the continental United States;
- that operates a law enforcement or emergency response agency with the
capacity to respond to calls for law enforcement or emergency services;
- that is located on or near an international border or a coastline bordering an ocean (including the Gulf of Mexico) or international waters;
- that is located within 10 miles of a system or asset included on the prioritized critical infrastructure list established under section 210E(a)(2) or has such a system or asset within its territory;
- that is located within or contiguous to 1 of the 50 most populous metropolitan statistical areas in the United States; or
- the jurisdiction of which includes not less than 1,000 square miles of Indian country, as that term is defined in section 1151 of title 18, United States Code; and
- that certifies to the Secretary that a state has not provided funds under section 2003 or 2004 to the Indian tribe or consortium of Indian tribes for the purpose for which direct funding is sought; and
- a consortium of Indian tribes, if each tribe satisfies the requirements of subparagraph (A).
Program Awards: In FY 2010, the total amount of funds distributed under this grant will be up to $10,000,000. FY 2010 THSGP funds will be allocated based on tribal eligibility per the 9/11 Act, and the effectiveness of the applicant’s THSGP Investment Justification as determined through a peer review process.