All new construction and substantial improvements must have any fully enclosed area below the lowest floor useable solely for storage, parking or access. The type of storage permitted in an enclosed lower area should be limited to that which is incidental and accessory to the principal use of the structure. For example, if the structure is a residence, storage should be limited to items such as lawn and garden equipment, snow tires, and other low damage items which will not suffer flood damage or can be conveniently moved to the elevated part of the building. Flood insurance coverage for enclosures below the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) is very limited.
National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Requirement
- 59.1 - Definition of Lowest Floor
- 60.3 - Flood plain management criteria for flood-prone areas
- (c) (5) Openings Requirement in A Zones
- (e)(5) Free of Obstruction Requirement
- IS-9 Managing Floodplain Development Through The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) (page 5-35) (PDF 8MB, TXT 1MB) (entire document)
- Free-Of-Obstruction Requirements (Technical Bulletin 5) (2008)