The Community Assistance Program –State Support Services Element (CAP-SSSE) program derives its authority from the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968, as amended, the Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973, and from 44 CFR Parts 59 and 60. This program provides funding to States to provide technical assistance to communities in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and to evaluate community performance in implementing NFIP floodplain management activities. In this way, CAP-SSSE helps to:
- Ensure that the flood loss reduction goals of the NFIP are met,
- Build State and community floodplain management expertise and capability, and
- Leverage State knowledge and expertise in working with their communities.
The National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 prohibits the Director from providing flood insurance in a community unless that community adopts and enforces floodplain management measures that meet or exceed minimum criteria in 44 CFR Part 60.3. These floodplain management measures can take the form of floodplain management ordinances, building codes, or zoning provisions.
FEMA Regional Offices and the designated State agency negotiate a CAP-SSSE Agreement (Agreement) that specifies activities and products to be completed by a State in return for CAP-SSSE funds. There is a 25 percent non-federal match for all States receiving CAP-SSSE funds.
A few of the fundable CAP-SSSE activities include:
- Entering Floodplain Management Data into the Community Information System (CIS) (Required)
- Strategic Planning
- Ordinance Assistance
- CAP GAP Analysis
- Community Assistance Visits and Community Assistance Contacts (Required)
- Outreach, Workshops, and Other Training
- General Technical Assistance
- Mapping Coordination Assistance
- Coordination with Other State Programs and Agencies
- Assistance to Communities in Responding to Disasters
To apply for the 2013 CAP-SSSE, please go to www.grants.gov . Following are the attachments, as cited in the CAP-SSSE guidance. If you have any questions, contact your FEMA Regional Office, Mitigation Division, CAP-SSSE Coordinator.
- Final CAP-SSSE 2013 Program Guidance
- Building Effective State FPM: Strategic Planning Methodology and State Guidance
- FEMA CAP-SSSE Program GAP Analysis Tool - The FEMA CAP-SSSE Program GAP Methodology Guidance and Excel Tool has been provided directly to each NFIP State Coordinator via e-mail from the FEMA Regional Office Mitigation Division CAP-SSSE Coordinator.
- Advanced Floodplain Management Concepts EMI Training
- CAP-SSSE 2013 Articles of Agreement