The Interagency Committee on Dam Safety has prepared and approved the following federal guidelines for federal agency dam owners and regulators. These guidelines may also be used by non-federal dam owners, regulators and operators.
- Emergency Action Planning for Dam Owners (FEMA 64)
Guidelines to encourage strict safety standards in the practices and procedures employed by federal agencies or required of dam owners regulated by the federal agencies. Guidelines to encourage emergency action planning for dams to help save lives and reduce property damage.
- Earthquake Analyses and Design of Dams (FEMA 65)
Guidelines that provide the basic framework for the earthquake design and evaluation of dams.
- Selecting and Accommodating Inflow Design Floods for Dams (FEMA 94)
Guidelines that provide procedures for selecting and accommodating inflow design floods.
- Glossary of Terms (FEMA 148)
A provision of common terminology for dam safety for use within and among the federal agencies.
- Hazard Potential Classification System for Dams (FEMA 333)
Guidelines that set forth a hazard potential classification system for dams that is simple, clear, concise and adaptable to any agency’s current system.
- Inundation Guidelines (FEMA Publication No. P-946): The purpose of this document is to provide dam safety professionals with guidance on how to prepare dam breach inundation modeling studies and conduct mapping that can be used for multiple purposes, including dam safety, hazard mitigation, consequence evaluation and emergency management including developing EAPs. This guidance is intended to provide a consistent approach that can be applied across the country.
Many publications can be ordered from the FEMA Publications Warehouse by calling 1-800-480-2520 (Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST) or sending a fax to 1-240-699-0252. You can also email a request to FEMA-Publications-Warehouse@dhs.gov. Please provide the title, FEMA publication number and the quantity of each publication, along with your name, address, zip code and daytime telephone number.