Oregon Tormenta invernal severa (DR-4169)
FEMA Grants Help Oregon Communities Repair and Rebuild After Winter Storm
Federal disaster assistance is available through FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) Grant Program to help Oregon recover from the Feb. 6-10 severe winter storm in Benton, Lane, Lincoln and Linn counties.
Under the program, FEMA is providing supplemental financial assistance to the state and state agencies, local and tribal governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations for their eligible response and recovery expenses.
Although funds go to government entities and nonprofits, the PA program is intended to benefit everyone — neighborhoods, cities and states. PA dollars in Oregon will help clean up communities overwhelmed by disaster-related debris, and put utilities, roads and bridges, schools and universities, and public parks back in order. The funds will also help reimburse local responders for their efforts to protect lives and property during the storm.
Following are some key dates, facts, contacts and deadlines for applicants seeking federal assistance as a result of Oregon’s winter disaster:
- President Obama issued a major disaster declaration on April 4 for the February storm.
- Federal financial assistance may be available to eligible applicants in four Oregon counties affected by the storm. These are Benton, Lane, Lincoln and Linn.
- The state of Oregon Office of Emergency Management (OEM), with FEMA support, held an Applicant Briefing in Eugene on April 16 to provide a general overview of the PA program and answer questions. FEMA/State PA program specialists will now meet individually with applicants to focus on their eligibility and requirements for documenting expenses for reimbursement.
- FEMA assists applicants through our public assistance coordinators (PACs). In Oregon, those specialists are Rick Turley and Bill Ewing.
- FEMA Public Assistance dollars come to Oregon communities through a cost-sharing partnership among the state, the applicants and the federal government. FEMA generally reimburses applicants 75 percent of their eligible costs, while the remaining 25 percent is the nonfederal share.
- FEMA obligates federal PA funds directly to the state, which disburses the money to the local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs.
- Applicants must file Requests for Public Assistance (RPAs) within 30 days of a presidential disaster declaration.
- Those affected by the storm have until May 2 to file RPAs.
- Two types of work are eligible for reimbursement under the PA program
- Emergency Work
- Removal and disposal of eligible disaster-related debris
- Emergency measures taken to protect lives and property ahead of and in the immediate aftermath of the storm
- Permanent Repairs to:
- Roads and bridges
- Water control facilities
- Public buildings and equipment
- Public utilities
- Parks, recreational and other facilities
- Emergency Work
- To be eligible for FEMA reimbursement funding, applicants must complete their projects within the established timeframe (unless extenuating circumstances exist).
- Emergency work must be completed within six months of the presidential disaster declaration.
- Permanent repair work must be completed within 18 months of the declaration.
- Entities that may be eligible for Public Assistance include:
- State governments and state agencies
- Local governments (towns, cities, counties) and special districts
- Federally recognized tribes
- Certain private nonprofit organizations providing services, such as:
- Critical services:
- Hospitals and other medical treatment
- Fire, police and other emergency services
- Power, water and sewer utilities
- Educational institutions
- Custodial care facilities
- Noncritical services**:
- Libraries, museums and zoos
- Community centers
- Homeless shelters and rehabilitation facilities
- Daycare centers
- Critical services:
(**Private nonprofits that provide essential services are eligible for Public Assistance for emergency work. For permanent repairs, they must apply to the Small Business Administration for a low-interest disaster loan before applying to FEMA).
More information about the PA program is available at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit and on the OEM website at www.oregon.gov/OMD/OEM/pages/index.aspx.