eLearning Tool for FEMA Grant Applicants

Main Content

C-3 Determining if your project is near water or in a natural stream or body of water.

You can determine if your project is in or near, any type of waterway or body of water by walking the entire project area, and all areas within 200 feet of the project site, and by referencing a USGS topographic map. Be sure to use a 1:24,000 scale map [example USFWS map]; any scale greater than this may not show all of the water body features. Water bodies are represented on USGS topographic maps in blue. Take the map to the field with you. Mark the project area directly on the map, and indicate if there are other water bodies present that are not shown on the map. If your scope of work involves any work in the water, or there are any bodies of water present in the project area, then check “yes” to Section C, Question 3 of the Environmental/Historic Preservation Questions and provide further documentation as described in Section D-5.

If there are any bodies of water in the project area, you will want to find out if the USFWS or NMFS has any concerns about your project as it relates to the FWCA. The best way to do this is contact the Field Office of the USFWS or NMFS that has jurisdiction in the project area (note that it will be a different division from the ESA Section 7 compliance office that you need to contact for ESA as mentioned above in C- 1), as well as the local and state fish and wildlife agencies. Include the same type of information as described in C-1 as well as information about the affected bodies of water.

Last Updated: 
07/24/2014 - 16:00
Back to Top