Emergency Preparedness for FEMA Employees - Memo from Timothy Manning, Deputy Administrator, Protection and National Preparedness (Distributed to all FEMA Employees on Thursday, Sept.20)
FEMA will be hosting a Special Hiring Event-Targeted Job Fair for people with Disabilities and Veterans 30% or more Service Connected Disability on Thursday, September 27, 2012 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. This event will be held at the Holiday Inn (Columbia Room) 550 C St SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
The following essays submitted by FEMA employees were selected to be featured on DHS Connect for the 2012 OneDHS Essays: In Their Own Words project.
By FEMA Regional Coordination and Oversight Branch, Grant Programs Directorate
By Eileen L. Page, Region 1, FEMA Community Relations
By Maria Roat, FEMA Deputy Chief Information Officer
- Enhanced Training Focuses on Subway Response - The Center for Domestic Preparedness has many enhanced training venues that support their commitment to provide critical and relevant training in specialized emergency response to modern threats. A mass-casualty incident on a bus, subway, streetcar or other modes of public transportation is one such threat.
- Inaugural Cohort of the FEMA Future Leaders Program Graduates! - The first cohort of the FEMA Future Leaders Program celebrated completion of all the program requirements in a ceremony held last week.
- Facts About West Nile Virus - In light of the recent outbreaks of the West Nile virus throughout the country, FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division would to provide awareness to all FEMA employees on West Nile virus.
- Region IV exceeds its “Feds Feed Families” 2012 food drive collection goal - The generosity of FEMA Region IV staff resulted in an abundance of food donated to the Atlanta Community Food Bank for its distribution to Atlanta-area families in need. This year, the Region IV Food Drive Committee set a goal to collect 3,000 pounds of food, which the region exceeded.
- This is National Preparedness Month – Organize or participate in a preparedness event. Throughout the month of September, we will feature an article each week on a topic related to National Preparedness Month. The article is the second article in this series.
- Determined Sentry 2012 – Continuity of Operations Telework Drill - During the month of November, FEMA - National Continuity Programs, in collaboration with Office of Chief Information Officer and Office of Chief Human Capital Officer, will conduct a no-notice telework drill.
- Hatch Act Reminder - The Hatch Act is a Federal law that regulates political campaign activity by Federal employees as well as State, and local government employees that are paid with federal funds. Read more.
- OCFO Announces Posting of CFO Bulletin 147-Qualifications for Invitational Travel - The OCFO has posted a new Bulletin on Aug. 5, 2012. This bulletin announces a new concurrence protocol for all invitational travel requests. This bulletin does not supersede requirements for requesting approval of conference-related travel. You may access the document on the Travel Policies page of the OCFO Financial Policy intranet site. Questions regarding this policy should be directed to: FEMA-TravelPolicy. For further assistance in completing the FEMA Funded Event Planning Tool, please email: FEMA-CONF-RMC.
- Webinar Exploring SFI Strategic Needs – Dynamic Partnerships - The Strategic Foresight Initiative team is scheduling a Webinar/Conference Call on Wednesday, Sept. 26, 1:00 – 2:00 pm EST to discuss and explore the strategic needs classified as “Dynamic Partnerships”.
- The Office of the Chief Financial Officer Announces Training – L337 Integrated Financial Management Information System – A comprehensive 3 -day course to teach the fundamentals of using the IFMIS for data entry, data viewing and reporting. The course consists of both lecture and hands-on exercises so that participants will complete the course with the knowledge and skills needed to use the system in performing their jobs.
- Annual Flu Vaccinations - FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division is working closely with Federal Occupational Health to prepare for this year’s annual flu vaccinations for FEMA staff.
- Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Internal Rotation Opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The Career Development and Training Office posted five internal rotation announcements.
Nominations are being accepted for the following:
- DHS Master’s Degree Program
- DHS Executive Leaders Program
- National Intelligence University (NIU) Program (Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence) The Department is accepting applications for the NIU, Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence Program. The MSSI is a full-time 11-month degree program designed to assist students in developing global awareness and understand how historical, economic, cultural, political and social contexts affect intelligence and national security. For additional Graduate and Master’s Program information and eligibility requirements, please review the Fact Sheet.
- Department of Defense Senior Service Schools - The Department of Defense enables employees to obtain their masters’ degree in a number of academic fields. The programs are 10 to 11 months in-residence opportunities.
- EEO for Managers and Supervisors - This course is designed to provide managers and supervisors with a basic understanding of EEO laws and regulations as well as their responsibilities with respect to EEO, affirmative employment and managing diversity.
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes to ensure agency supervisors and managers hired or promoted prior to Fiscal Year 2012 meet their developmental obligations and have a quality learning experience.
- Executive Development Open House - The Career Development and Training Branch is hosting an Executive Development Open House on Oct. 4, from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m at the Portals III Building in Washington DC. The Open House provides an opportunity for employees to receive program information about the currently advertised Executive Development Opportunities: National Intelligence University Program and the DoD Senior Service Schools.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.
NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines.