Remembering 9/11 message from Secretary Napolitano distributed to all DHS employees.
Nominations are due today - The Administrator’s Awards are honorary and non-monetary. Any FEMA employee may nominate a colleague or team for an award for individual and team achievements that occurred from Aug. 1, 2011 to July 31, 2012 ("award period"). The nominated employee must have been actively employed during the award period. You may submit questions and request the nomination form via email to FEMA-AdministratorsAward@dhs.gov.
FEMA Corps Inaugural Class
The first class of FEMA Corps graduates were newly minted earlier this week. FEMA Corps is a program that combines the expertise of FEMA and AmeriCorps to equip groups of young people to deploy into areas affected by disasters and assist the community with recovery. The new members, who range in age from 18-24 years old, will contribute to a dedicated, trained, and reliable disaster workforce by working full-time for ten months on federal disaster response and recovery efforts.
FEMA Deputy Administrator Rich Serino spoke to the class of 231 graduates on Thursday, and he blogged about his perspective on the FEMA Corps program as well.
2012 Employee Preparedness Fair
This is a reminder that DHS is hosting the 2012 Employee Preparedness Fair on September 20, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., at the Nebraska Avenue Complex.
The event will feature local responders, external emergency preparedness groups, and internal emergency responders and preparedness experts. Volunteers from these organizations will share preparedness advice, knowledge, and resources with employees through demonstrations of emergency equipment and vehicles, informational booths and handouts. Attendees will also have an opportunity to purchase DHS memorabilia.
For additional details and the complete list of participating organizations, please visit the Opportunities for Employees page on DHS Connect at NCR Employee Preparedness Fair.
If you wish to attend and do not have NAC access, please RSVP by e-mailing Lisa.DiCamillo no later than COB, Sept. 17.
This is National Preparedness Month – Organize or participate in a preparedness event. Throughout the month of September, we will feature an article each week on a topic related to National Preparedness Month. The article is the second article in this series.
- Determined Sentry 2012 – Continuity of Operations Telework Drill - During the month of November, FEMA - National Continuity Programs, in collaboration with Office of Chief Information Officer and Office of Chief Human Capital Officer, will conduct a no-notice telework drill.
- Isaac Reminds Mid-west to Prepare for the Unexpected - Much of the East Coast and even inland, east of the Mississippi River, watched closely as Hurricane Isaac changed from a tropical storm to a hurricane and then back again, a few times.
- Drivers, Cyclists: Share the Road - According to the League of American Bicyclists, each year over 700 cyclists lose their lives in traffic crashes. This tragic statistic highlights the importance of all road users—drivers and bicyclists alike—knowing how to share the road safely, whether traveling on government business or just running errands around town.
- LLIS.gov Offers Hurricane Lessons Learned Resources - LLIS.gov is FEMA’s national, on-line network of lessons learned, best practices and innovative ideas for the emergency response and homeland security communities. Resources include after-action reports, plans and other reports, preparedness guides, and detailed information on past hurricanes, including Irene (2011), Ike (2008) and Gustav (2008).
- Hatch Act Reminder - The Hatch Act is a federal law that regulates political campaign activity by Federal employees as well as State, and local government employees that are paid with federal funds. Read more.
FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate and Secretary Janet Napolitano discuss the importance of being prepared in our workplace in their video message to the workforce.
- Annual Flu Vaccinations - FEMA Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division is working closely with Federal Occupational Health to prepare for this year’s annual flu vaccinations for FEMA staff.
- OCFO Announces Providing Prompt Payment - 15 Day Pay Initiative - The FEMA Office of the Chief Financial Officer has been working with the Office of Management and Budget on providing prompt payment to small businesses. Pursuant to the OMB Memorandum 12-16 issued on July 11, for a period of one year the OCFO will be working towards a goal of paying all vendor payments within 15 days of receiving proper documentation. This initiative does not affect the application of the Prompt Pay Act’s late-payment interest penalty provisions.
- FEMA Independent Study Coursed available online at Training.fema.gov.
- Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Reminder - DHS Employee Preparedness Initiative Coursework - All FEMA employees must complete one of the courses listed in the DHS EPI Curriculum within the FEMA Employee Knowledge Center by Feb. 28, 2013.
- Deadline Extended to Oct. 1 for DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program! – The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for Executive Development Opportunities: DHS Masters & ELP, National Intelligence University and DoD Senior Service School.
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors – The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes.
- New! FEMA Internal Rotation Program – There are five internal rotation announcements available now. Further information can be found on the Development & Rotational Opportunities site or you may contact Jensinta Brown at Jensita.Brown.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
- Hurricane Isaac Recovery Marks Milestones in Helping Survivors – Sept. 14
- FEMA Mitigation Advisers to Offer Rebuilding Tips in Jefferson Parish – Sept. 13
- Nation’s First FEMA Corps Members Sworn In to Begin Disaster Response Service – Sept. 13
- National Preparedness Month: Your Family Plan – Sept. 13
- FEMA SPEAKERS BUREAU: HAVE QUESTIONS? FEMA HAS ANSWERS! – Sept. 12