FEMA’s OCTOBER THINK TANK – LOOKING BACK, LOOKING FORWARD.
Please join FEMA’s Deputy Administrator Richard Serino as he hosts the next FEMA Think Tank conference call on October 30, 2012, from Orlando, Florida.
Congratulations to the second FEMA Corps graduating class!
Employee Articles highlights
- Region VIII Disabilities Integration Specialist Dave Schaad Breaks the Mold
- Bill Carwile, Associate Administrator for the Office of Response and Recovery, Receives Service Award From NEMA
- Conflict Resolution Month – A message from Lydia Crafton, ADR Advisor on FEMA Multiculturalism
- The Career Development and Training Branch Recognizes the FY 2012-2013 Executive Development Program Participants and Endorsed Candidates
- Sign Up for Course: L337 - Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS)
- OCIO Security Success Story - Delwyn Kinsley reported to the FEMA-Spam mailbox a suspicious email with subject line “Alert !!! Email Account Termination.”
- FEMA Corps Members revisit the Epicenter of the Great East Coast Earthquake
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month Week Three: Becoming an Ambassador of Cyber Security Begins at Home
Employee Announcements highlights
- Secretary’s Corner - “Ask the Secretary” question and answer session. Read more.
- Windows 7 Operating System Upgrade - This is an important announcement for HQ employees regarding your laptops and Windows 7 upgrade! OCIO has been striving to upgrade all devices with Windows XP FEMA to the Windows 7 Operating System. DHS requires all devices be upgraded to Windows 7 by Jan. 31, 2013. We need your assistance to meet this requirement and secure our network. Read More.
- FEMA encourages all employees to exercise their rights and responsibilities as citizens to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012. The Office of Personnel Management has provided the following guidance to federal agencies regarding the federal government's longstanding policy of granting employees limited time off from work. Read More About Voting.
- Conflict Resolution Month - Message from Rob Scott, Deputy ADR Director.
- The Strategic Foresight Initiative team is scheduling a Webinar on Wednesday October 24 to exploring strategic needs classified as “dynamic partnerships.” The Strategic Foresight Initiative team is scheduling a Webinar on Wednesday October 24 to exploring strategic needs classified as “dynamic partnerships.” Webinar.
- Hannah Bruce is awarded FY2012 FEMA ISSO-of-the-Year - Learn More.
- REMINDER: During the month of November, FEMA will conduct Determined Sentry 2012– Continuity of Operations Telework Drill. For employees to participate, they must have a telework agreement in place prior to November. Read more.
- Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Internal Rotation Opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The Career Development and Training Office has posted five internal rotation announcements.
Nominations are being accepted for the following:
- Executive Potential Program - The Executive Potential Program (EPP) is hosted by the USDA Graduate School and is designed to enhance participant’s leadership effectiveness.
- DHS Fellows Program - The DHS Fellows Program is for GS-14 to GS-15 employees and is hosted by the Partnership for Public Service.
- National Intelligence University (NIU) Program (Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence) - The Department is accepting applications for the NIU, Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence (MSSI) Program. The MSSI is a full-time 11-month degree program designed to assist students in developing global awareness and understand how historical, economic, cultural, political and social contexts affect intelligence and national security. For additional Graduate and Master’s Program information and eligibility requirements, please review the Fact Sheet.
- Department of Defense Senior Service Schools - The Department of Defense enables employees to obtain their masters’ degree in a number of academic fields. The programs are 10 to 11 months in-residence opportunities.
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch (CDTB) is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes to ensure agency supervisors and managers hired or promoted prior to Fiscal Year 2012 meet their developmental obligations and have a quality learning experience.
John A. Messeroll
Region 6 Disaster Assistance Employee John A. Messeroll passed away last weekend while deployed to the Louisiana JFO for DR4080. Mr. Messeroll was a member of the Hazard Mitigation cadre and joined FEMA in November 2005 to assist in the Hurricane Katrina recovery. In 2007 he became a full time employee at the Louisiana Recovery Office and then converted to a Disaster Assistance Employee with Region 6 in July of 2012. His return to Louisiana was to assist in the Hurricane Isaac recovery. He was working in a Disaster Recovery Center meeting the public and assisting them as an Insurance Specialist. John is survived by his wife, Theresa (Terri) Messeroll, and by two daughters and three sons.
From Our Blog
- Capturing the Moment and Kicking off FEMA Corps Rich Serino, FEMA Deputy Administrator
- Shakeout Activities Around The Country. Read about them on our blog.
- Practicing Safety and Shaking Out
- FEMA to Evaluate Readiness of Pennsylvania October 19, 2012
- President Declares Disaster For Florida October 18, 2012
- Tell Your Friends, Only Two Weeks Left to Register for Hurricane Isaac Help October 17, 2012
- 20 Million Approved in Disaster Assistance for Hurricane Isaac October 15, 2012
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.