Save the date! Get Ready to ShakeOut on Thursday, October 18 at 10:18 a.m. your local time. All FEMA employees will be asked to participate in the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill by taking action to Drop, Cover, and Hold On.
Drop to the ground, take Cover under a table or desk, and Hold On to it as if a major earthquake were happening (stay down for at least 60seconds). Practice on Thursday so you’re ready if an earthquake happens!
And you won’t be alone. Watch Deputy Administrator Serino demonstrate “where you want to be” when an earthquake happens.
Individuals with disability/or access/functional needs are also encouraged to participate in the drill. Please refer to this page for what to do if you have a disability or an activity limitation.
Employee Articles highlights
- Conflict Resolution Month - Message from Cindy Mazur, ADR Director.
- Celebrating Conflict - Each week there will be an article written by an ADR Advisor which will highlight some aspect of dispute resolution here at FEMA and explain the many ways we support conflict resolution efforts, both directly and indirectly.
- The Voluntary Agency Liaison Group sponsored a brown-bag lunch event outlining the services and programs of International Orthodox Christian Charities Oct. 4.
- There is power in Public/Private partnerships - As a member of the National Business Emergency Operations Center, Kenneth Wilkins, manager for Construction Projects for Dominion Virginia Power is currently serving a 90-day rotation with FEMA to better facilitate the power company’s relationship with the agency before, during and after a disaster.
- FEMA Corps Members desire to serve - On March 13, 2012, the White House announced a partnership between the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Corporation for National and Community Service to establish FEMA Corps, a unit of 1,600 service corps 18-24 year old members within AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps, solely devoted to disaster preparedness, response, and recovery.
- Office of External Affairs trains 120 FEMA Corps members - On September 30, 231 young adults made history by graduating as the first FEMA Corp members. The Office of External Affairs was excited to be a part of history by training 120 of those members in Community Relations.
- David Stanley, public assistance program specialist in the Baton Rouge Louisiana Recovery Office, is one of 20 applicants selected nationwide to be accepted into the FEMA Future Leaders Program.
Employee Announcements highlights
- The Office of the Chief Financial Officer announces Fedtraveler.com System Maintenance. -FedTraveler.com will be unavailable on Saturday, October 13, 2012, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for system maintenance. Users will not be able to login into FedTraveler.com during this timeframe. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have questions, please call the Fedtraveler.com Helpdesk on 1-800-310-3169, Option 2.
- The FEMA OPPA/SP&A team would like to share a link to a presentation on the Strategic Foresight Initiative (SFI) by Dave Kaufman, Associate Administrator for Policy, Program Analysis and International Affairs. For more information on the SFI, you can contact the SFI Project Team via email at FEMA-OPPA-SFI and you can visit the SFI web page to read the relevant research papers.
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month - October 2012 brings the country’s ninth-annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month, a public awareness campaign to encourage Americans everywhere to protect their computers and the nation’s critical cyber infrastructure. The focus for this year is ACT or “Achieving Cybersecurity Together.”
- Version 2.0 of the Mission Support Customer Guide has been released - The Mission Support Customer Guide is available on the FEMA Mission Support Bureau Intranet Home Page.
- October is National Community Planning Month. FEMA invites you to celebrate National Community Planning Month during the month of October as an opportunity to highlight the contributions sound planning and plan implementation make to the resilience of our communities.
- Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Internal Rotation Opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The Career Development and Training Office has posted five internal rotation announcements.
Nominations are being accepted for the following:
- National Intelligence University (NIU) Program (Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence) - The Department is accepting applications for the NIU, Master of Science of Strategic Intelligence Program. The MSSI is a full-time 11-month degree program designed to assist students in developing global awareness and understand how historical, economic, cultural, political and social contexts affect intelligence and national security. For additional Graduate and Master’s Program information and eligibility requirements, please review the Fact Sheet.
- Department of Defense Senior Service Schools - The Department of Defense enables employees to obtain their masters’ degree in a number of academic fields. The programs are 10 to 11 months in-residence opportunities.
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - The FEMA Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is providing additional Human Resources for Supervisors and Managers classes to ensure agency supervisors and managers hired or promoted prior to Fiscal Year 2012 meet their developmental obligations and have a quality learning experience.
We are very saddened by the untimely passing of Mr. Robert Jeaudoin on October 1, 2012 while deployed to DR-4080-LA. Mr. Jeaudoin, affectionately known as “Bobby” was a valued member of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the Public Assistance Cadre. Mr. Jeaudoin was a Vietnam veteran who served in the Army artillery. Following his army service, he became a professional wrestler and continued for 23 years. He is survived by his wife, Donna, and his daughters, Elizabeth and Amanda; two sons-in-law, Dan Rohloff and Cory Cain, as well as two grandchildren, Asiah and Witten Cain.
From our Blog
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.