FEMA email updates and outages
The FEMA email system will be upgraded from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 and new servers over the next few weeks. Users may experience intermittent outages as the upgrade takes place. Should your BlackBerry, iPad, iPhone or email stop functioning please call the ESD immediately for assistance.
New Director of the Office of the National Advisory Council. Kathy Fields will be taking over as director of the Office of the National Advisory Council and Designated Federal Officer. This personnel change went into effect May 6. Please join us in providing your full support to Kathy as she undertakes the new position.
- Farewell to a Leader in Preparedness – Superintendent of the Center for Domestic Preparedness retires June 2.
- Region III Disaster Recovery Center Kits Updated with Latest Equipment for People with Disabilities - Disability Integration Specialist Lesley Anne Ezelle helps create 14 kits.
- Vermont Towns Prep for Future Disasters - Town officials from Richmond and Huntington, Vt., attended a two-day training session on Community Mass Care and Emergency Assistance.
- Geospatial Information Manager/Unit Leader Course - FEMA Regional and Headquarters staff participated in the pilot Geospatial Information Manager/Unit Leader course at the Emergency Management Institute in Emmitsburg, Md.
- Open Invitation to Attend the DHS Pride Celebration – DHS Pride will be June 7 at ICE Headquarters in Washington, DC.
- Webinar Exploring the Strategic Foresight Initiative Strategic Needs I/III – The webinar will be held on June 5, at 1 p.m. EST.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- FEMA Internal Rotation Program – The Career Development Office has posted the following six internal rotation announcements.
- 2012-2013 Career Builder Express Program - This program is designed to provide interested employees with a flexible and innovative learning experience.
- Training: Equal Employment Opportunity for Managers and Supervisors – This training is designed to provide managers and supervisors with a basic understanding of Equal Employment Opportunity laws and regulations as well as their responsibilities with respect to EEO, affirmative employment and managing diversity.
Read more stories and announcements on the employee site.
- Fewer storms expected, but it just takes one!
- The Waffle House Plan – Show Up
- Supporting NATO Activities through Planning and Collaboration
- A Small Vermont Business Struggles to Make a Comeback and Learns to Prepare for the Future
- Beryl Update 2: Follow the Directions of Local Officials As the Storm Comes Ashore
- Monitoring Sub-Tropical Storm Beryl
- Flat Stanley Helps FEMA Prepare for Hurricane Season
- Krista Dahl began her career at the FEMA Texas National Processing Services Center in 1993 as a human services specialist, providing assistance to individuals and families affected by a disaster. Read more.
- On May 18, 2012, FEMA lost a beloved member of the Maryland National Processing Service Center team in Hyattsville, Md. Cecelia Alvarez began her 14-year career with FEMA in 1998 as a human services specialist at the Puerto Rico NPSC in Trujillo Alto, P.R. Read more.
National Preparedness Month 2012 Webinar
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
3:00 p.m. EDT
Open to the General Public
Please JOIN US Tuesday, June 5 for a FREE preparedness webinar: National Preparedness Month 2012. The ninth annual National Preparedness Month will kick-off this September with the theme: Pledge to Prepare. NPM has grown every year, and with your help, this September will mark our most successful endeavor to engage individuals and organizations throughout the nation to pledge their support and help prepare their families, businesses and communities for any disaster or emergency event.
DON’T MISS this great opportunity to transform awareness into action and to learn more about the ways you, your organization, or community can take action and become a 2012 NPM coalition member. Becoming a coalition member is easy and free, so pledge today and get started. Once on board, coalition members have access to an events calendar, national and regional discussion boards, plus other tools and resources.
Please register for this webinar if you have not participated on a HSIN webinar in the past.
If you have participated on a HSIN webinar in the past and have a username and password you may simply log-in with those credentials on June 5.
Please note: due to an anticipated large volume of participants, we will open the meeting room at 2:30 p.m. EDT on June 5 – the Webinar will officially begin at 3 p.m. EDT.
Executive Development Opportunities
The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the following Executive Development opportunities:
- Federal Executive Institute – Leadership for a Democratic Society, GS -15 to SES
- DHS/USCG Executive Change Leadership Program, Newly appointed SES
- Excellence in Government Fellows Program, GS-14 to 15 and exceptional GS-13
- USDA Executive Leadership Program, GS-11 to 13
Eligibility: Applicant must be a permanent, full-time employee and meet the identified requirements of the school or training institution.
Funding: Tuition for the Executive Change Leadership Program is funded by the U.S. Coast Guard. Agency training funds cover tuition for all other listed programs. The participant’s office, directorate or region is responsible for all associated travel costs.
Nomination Requirements: Nomination packages must include:
- Current resume
- Applicant Program Expectations (memorandum to Executive Review Board discussing purpose for applying and application of new skills and knowledge)
- Supervisory Letter of Recommendation
- Standard Form 182 Form (Request, Authorization, Agreement and Certification of Training Form)
- If applicable, specific program requirements, such as program applications, essays, transcripts, writing samples
Nomination Period: May 14 to June 29, 2012
Point of Contact:
Mary E. Waller, email@example.com, 202-212-2083
Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer
Career Development and Training Branch
Portals III, 1201 Maryland Avenue, SW, 336.10
Washington, DC 20472
The Microsoft Home Use Program
The most recent edition of Microsoft Office Professional, MS Project and MS Visio are available to install and use on a home computer for home use. The software is available at the discounted rate of $10 dollars. To make your purchase, visit the Microsoft Home Use Program website, and enter your work email and the program code to take advantage of this offer! (The program code is 19c2092d65)
The Home Use Program benefit enables DHS to offer employees flexible workspace options that can boost their productivity and enhance their overall work satisfaction. The only cost to employees for the Home Use Program benefit is the cost of download or CDs, and shipping and handling. This benefit is only available to DHS employees (and DHS contractors for EPP).
Training Course Registration Guidance for Personal Use
All courses offered through the traditional classroom format are delivered by industry-recognized experts, and can be completed through Microsoft-certified vendors such as Global Knowledge. Individuals must register for classroom training through LT Bianca Roberson, the Enterprise License Manager. Our current allotment for both programs ends on June 30. If interested, please act today to make your reservation. For any training or purchasing questions, contact LT Bianca Roberson at Bianca.Roberson@fema.dhs.gov or (202) 212 – 2361.
License Management Training Program
FEMA’s Microsoft License Agreement allows FEMA employees to participate in selected Microsoft training at no cost. Training courses cover Microsoft applications, systems, and servers. Courses are taught by industry-recognized experts, and can be used to further your professional career and gain professional certifications.
Training courses are available until June 30- take advantage of these free trainings!
Find the Right Training Course(s)
Select a course and vendor from the Microsoft Learning Site http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/classlocator.aspx
Email the name of the course, course ID, course location, vendor name, and the URL to the course description to FEMA-LicenseManagement-CustomerService@fema.dhs.gov.
A member of the program will contact you to confirm the training request
Once you receive a training confirmation, register for the course by activating your access to E-Learning at Business.microsoftelearning.com/activate. Depending on the course, you must use one of the following access codes:
- For training on applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project, please use the following access code: IWOFAC1047
- For training on systems such as Microsoft Windows XP and Vista, please use the following access code: CLOBDAB8AA
- For training on servers such as Windows Server, Exchange, and SQL, please use the following access code: SRO2355A5F
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines