Measuring Performance in a Mobile Workplace Environment, Message from Tonya Schreiber
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Personnel Accountability System Implementation - Federal Continuity Directive 1 mandates that all Federal departments and agencies must have the capability to account for all personnel.
From the Field
FEMA Corps saluted for “Hard Work, Dedication” - FEMA Corps members assembled at Borough Hall, Staten Island, N.Y., recently to be recognized for their hard work in assisting Staten Island survivors after Hurricane Sandy. By proclamation, March 8 had been designated “FEMA Corps Day” by a thankful community.
Employee News and Announcements
- “Ask the Secretary” - As we continue to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the Department’s creation this month, I want to hear from you, the over 230,000 dedicated men and women proudly serving across the country and around the world.
- Department of Homeland Security Personnel Accountability System Implementation – To access the PAS you will need to have access to the network to log in. You may refer to the Personnel Accountability System Guidance webpage for further clarification.
- Gold’s Gym, Sport & Health contract terminates March 31, renew before March 31 and the gym will honor the current monthly fee for FEMA employees. In an effort to maintain a strong FEMA workforce and to prevent furloughs, FEMA is reducing contracts to only those that are mission critical. This action is being taken due to the Presidential Sequestration Order implementing government wide mandatory budget reductions.
- Region VI strengthens University of North Texas partnership - FEMA Region VI partnered with the University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, to encourage students to make emergency management a career choice this month.
- FEMA consults Tribal leadership, communities on Disaster Declaration Process - President Barack Obama signed the Sandy Recovery Improvement Act of 2013 on Jan. 29. The legislation amended the Stafford Act to provide federally-recognized Tribal governments the option to choose between making direct requests to the President for a federal emergency or major disaster declaration, or to seeking assistance through a state declaration as was the practice in the past.
- FedTraveler will be replaced by a new travel management system called ETS2 by the end of the year.
FEMA Rotational Opportunities
The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist, GS-12 to GS-14 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-12/14 to serve as a Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist. Closes: March 16
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Assistant Program Manager, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Assistant Program Manager. Closes: March 16
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Program Specialist, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Program Specialist. Closes: March 16
Full descriptions of each of the rotation assignments are available on on.fema.net. Employees interested in applying for these rotations, should click on the link, “Apply for a Rotation Position” located on the upper right-hand side of the Detail & Rotation Opportunities page.
DHS Rotational Opportunities
- Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. The CISOMB is seeking individuals interested in a rotational assignment as a Program Assistant. Program Assistant’s will assist supervisors with identifying CISOMB database problems and reports problems for resolution. Works with the staff and management to identify and assist with correcting administrative and technical issues concerning office policies and procedures. To apply for DHS rotational opportunities visit DHSConnect.dhs.gov. Employees should review the announcement very carefully for specific instructions on eligibility and how to apply.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Intelligence Community Developmental Programs - The DHS Intelligence Enterprise Professional Development Team is pleased to inform the workforce about three courses sponsored and delivered by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, through its Intelligence Learning Network.
- Leader Development Program has three workshops available - Great leaders leverage their power and authority to influence others. While authority and power may lead to compliance, a more powerful force - influence - leads to commitment.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- What We’re Watching: 3/8/13 Author: Lars Anderson
- Preparedness Matters: Preparing our Stores and Clubs for Severe Weather Author: Mark Cooper
- Weather – a key ingredient to a never-ending “fire season” Author: Justin Dombrowski and John Maclean
Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.