- NCCC-FEMA Corps Program Update - The Corporation for National and Community Service and FEMA are building on their existing and successful historic collaboration on disaster response and recovery activities to establish the FEMA Corps within the National Civilian Community Corps program to support Federal emergency and disaster response and recovery efforts. FEMA is providing funding to support up to 1,600 NCCC-FEMA Members per year for the next five years.
- Regions host town hall discussions - This week Administrator Fugate visited Regions I, II, and III where he met with FEMA employees and responded to questions concerning the new Reservist Program, teleworking and future technology plans within FEMA.
- Emergency Medical Operations Offers Hands-On Experience for all Response Disciplines - Known for offering extensive hands-on training in a mass casualty response, the Emergency Medical Operations for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosives Incidents course provides first response personnel, serving in a variety of positions, necessary skills to perform during an emergency or catastrophic event. FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness, located in Anniston, Ala., focuses its training on incident management and mass casualty response to manmade or natural disasters.
- City of Compton, Ca. Hosts FEMA Class - Nearly 50 emergency management, response personnel and community members from the City of Compton, Calif., and across the Los Angeles region trained as a team to strengthen their emergency management skills during the week of July 10.
- LLIS.gov Extreme Makeover in Progress - FEMA is enhancing the Lessons Learned Information Sharing system to better serve the whole community and FEMA preparedness needs.
- OCFO Announces L337 - Integrated Financial Management Information System - This course is intended as a comprehensive 3 -day course to teach the fundamentals of using the Integrated Financial Management Information System for data entry, data viewing and reporting.
- Performance Management Reminder - As another quarter comes to a close, remember that quarterly performance reviews are required to be conducted during the month of July for employees, supervisors, and managers.
- Health and Wellness Fair - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Work Life Programs Division will host its second annual Health and Wellness Fair on Thursday, July 26, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - The Career Development and Training Branch is sponsoring four more HR for Supervisors and Managers courses for the remainder of the year.
- Deadline Fast Approaching – July 31, 2012! Executive Development Opportunities - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer, Career Development and Training Branch is still accepting applications for the Capitol Hill Fellowship Program and LEGIS Fellowship Program.
- EEO for Managers and Supervisors - This course is designed to provide managers and supervisors with a basic understanding of EEO laws and regulations as well as their responsibilities with respect to EEO, affirmative employment and managing diversity.
- The FEMA Internal Rotation Program - July 19 - The Career Development and Training Office has posted the following four internal rotation announcements.
- Deadline for FY13 Leader Development Programs extended until July 27th! Due to overwhelming response, we are pleased to announce that we will accept applications for the Emerging Leaders, Future Leaders and FEMA Fellows Programs until July 27th! These year-long programs are fully funded, including travel and per diem! For more information, including applications, please visit the Programs Page of the Leader Development intranet site.
Read these stories and more on Employee News Online.
- It’s here: the new FEMA.gov
- Fire & Drought: A Double Threat for Flooding
- Selection Process Commences
- Flat Stanley and Flat Stella Join FEMA
- President Declares a Major Disaster for New Jersey – Jul 19
- Federal Aid Programs for State of New Jersey Disaster Recovery – Jul 19
- Last Chance to Visit Disaster Recovery Center in Highlands County – Jul 18
- Survivors of Tropical Storm Debby May Qualify for FEMA Rental Assistance – Jul 17
- FEMA to Evaluate Readiness of Virginia, Jul 12
Year-End Awards Briefings
Please join OCFO and OCCHCO in a joint briefing explaining the procedures and deadlines for processing awards at the end of the fiscal year.
Thursday, July 19, 1 p.m. EST
Wednesday, July 25, 1 p.m. EST
Thursday, August 2, 1 p.m. EST
Learn more by visiting us on the intranet at:
Performance Management Reminder
As another quarter comes to a close, remember that quarterly performance reviews are required to be conducted during the month of July for employees, supervisors, and managers.
Employee Program: 3rd Quarter
In preparation for the end of the FY 2012 performance cycle on September 30, 2012, the following actions are required:
- All subordinate General Schedule and Federal Wage System employees must be on a signed performance plan for 90-days in order to receive a performance rating at the end of the fiscal year. Ensure all employees have a signed FY 2012 performance plan no later than June 30, 2012. This means the signature blocks at the top of FEMA Form 30-65 have been completed.
- The 3rd quarter reviews are due now. Each performance element must be noted as either “On Target” or “Less Than Expected” on the performance plan, FEMA Form 30-65. Comments are documented on FEMA Form 30-60.
Supervisor Program: 2nd Quarter/Mid-Cycle
In preparation for the end of the CY 2012 performance cycle on December 31, 2012, the following actions are required:
- Rating Officials must provide 2nd quarter progress reviews to their subordinate GS supervisory employees by July 30, 2012 Comments are documented under the mid-cycle progress review section of the performance work plan, DHS Form 306 (GS 5-13) or DHS Form 307 (GS 14-15). Visit Employee Tools for job aids and more information.
- Review individual performance goals to verify the goals are on track and still support the mission. Visit Employee Tools for goal writing training opportunities.
- Contact FEMA-Performance-Management@dhs.gov, Anthony Berman, (202)-646-4253 or Carol Anne Snider (202) 212-2250 with questions or visit OCCHCO Tools.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington, D.C. and will replace the FEMA Weekly.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.
NOTE TO CONTRIBUTORS: The employee news site will provide the same news categories you became familiar with in the FEMA Weekly – News (Featured Articles), Announcements, and Around FEMA (Employee Collaboration). The news site will be updated daily. You can access the employee news site 24/7, from your work or home computer. Please refer to the updated submission guidelines.