This week's "Training Opportunity Spotlight" is the FEMA Mentoring Program - Paying it Forward. Apply today!
From the field
The 01/11/2013 FEMA Weekly edition of, “Submarine Surfaces Memories for Sandy Disaster Worker - Working in the FEMA-state Disaster Recovery Center in Groton, Ct. was a trip down memory lane for Burley, Idaho, resident Marie Hanzel,” provided an incorrect byline and photos. This has been corrected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Joplin Blazes Comeback Trail - On December 4, 2012, TIME ranked the town of Joplin, Missouri 4th on a list of top 10 comebacks of 2012. Wedged between #3, Good Morning America, and #5, The San Francisco Giants, this town of 50,000 people situated a few miles east of both the Kansas and Oklahoma borders and 160 miles south of Kansas City is resurrecting itself from the deadliest tornado to strike the U.S. in 60 years. Five hundred sixty-two days before TIME’s list, such a comeback seemed unimaginable.
Does a Pink Wig Belong In a Disaster Supply Kit? – In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Nina Coleman, Assistant Manager of FEMA for Kids Community Relations Strike Team, has been conducting outreach to schools, after-school programs and youth organizations throughout New York City to inform students and teachers about disaster preparedness.
Logistics is like Chess; anticipate the next move - Terry Jelcick has worn a lot of headgear—Navy, Army, Coast Guard, sailor, salt water fisherman, detention officer and FEMA caps. It’s the bandana he wears here in Trenton, N.J., when he’s prospecting for gold that turns heads.
Whole Community Responds to LLIS.gov Calls to Action - The Lessons Learned Information Sharing (LLIS.gov) team recently put out several Calls to Action to engage the emergency response and homeland security communities in developing and sharing innovative ideas, best practices and lessons learned.
New Jersey Public Assistance team receives words of inspiration - “Project Specialist” is the most important job in Public Assistance.
New Jersey DR 4086: Mitigation Resources Webpage - In New Jersey, a single location for Mitigation Resources has been created. It provides survivors and community officials with electronic access to Mitigation publications and Best Practices.
Private Sector gets FEMA message out to survivors - In the nation’s biggest metropolitan market, the private sector is playing a critical role in spreading the message about FEMA assistance.
Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov.
Employee News and Announcements
- Tony Robinson named as FEMA Region 6 Administrator - Tony Robinson recently held an All-Hands meeting with Region 6 employees, where he outlined the regional priorities for 2013 and also recognized a number of people for their years of federal government service.
- Improved technology offers complete healthcare training experience - Using patient simulators in training is nothing new for the Center for Domestic Preparedness. Patient simulation has been in use for the past five years in a variety of CDP courses. But FEMA’s training facility in Anniston, Ala., strives to provide mass casualty training participants with the best equipment available to simulate injuries sustained during all hazards.
- Stay current with workplace transformation developments. Check the FEMA intranet regularly. The FEMA Telework Manual 123-9-1 found on the FEMA intranet provides guidance and policy direction for the administration, implementation, and oversight of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's telework Program. Please check with your Supervisor if you have questions.
- Employee Benefits Update – Message from the Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer.
- 2012-2013 Influenza Season message from Alexander G. Garza, MD, MPH, Assistant Secretary for Health Affairs and Chief Medical Officer.
- It’s not too late to get a flu shot! Message from the FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- New! USDA Executive Potential Program, GS-13 to GS-15 - Nomination Period Re-opened - The Executive Potential Program is hosted by the USDA Graduate School and is designed to enhance participant’s leadership effectiveness. The core curriculum is centered around the Office of Personnel Management’s Executive Core Qualifications with an emphasis on Leading Change.
- New! Cyber Security Fundamentals Graduate Certificate Program, - Nomination Period Re-Opened - The Cyber Security Fundamentals Graduate Certificate Program is intended to provide a rigorous foundation upon which to build knowledge and skills in computer network defense, attack and exploitation.
- New! Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses.
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies.
- E536 – Performance Excellence Series Level I, “Representing the Agency” - Representing the Agency is a 4-day course designed to provide employees with techniques and tools to represent FEMA professionally.
- NEW DEADLINE! FEMA Mentor Program – “Paying It Forward” - FEMA’s Mentor Program is designed to provide employees an opportunity to grow personally and professionally through a co-learning partnership with fellow colleagues to share aspirations and experiences.
- Federal Acquisition Institute Training Application System - below is a list of Federal Acquisition Institute online and instructor-led courses for Contracting Officer Representatives.
- DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program - The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the 2013 Fall cohorts of the DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program.
- Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of Federal tax payer dollars.
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- What We're Watching: 1/11/13 - At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.