2012-2013 Influenza Season message from Alexander G. Garza, MD, MPH, Assistant Secretary for Health Affairs and Chief Medical Officer.
From the field
- Joplin Blazes Comeback Trail - On December 4, 2012, TIME ranked the town of Joplin, Missouri 4th on a list of top 10 comebacks of 2012. Wedged between #3, Good Morning America, and #5, The San Francisco Giants, this town of 50,000 people situated a few miles east of both the Kansas and Oklahoma borders and 160 miles south of Kansas City is resurrecting itself from the deadliest tornado to strike the U.S. in 60 years. Five hundred sixty-two days before TIME’s list, such a comeback seemed unimaginable.
- Saving $1 Million on the Waterfront - When Hurricane Sandy inundated Red Hook with floodwaters in October, Robbin’s warehouse took a huge hit – but not as bad had he not initiated a major mitigation project. Four years earlier, trucking in 1,500 cubic yards of armored stone, Robbins spent half a million dollars to build riprap, an embankment of large stones to prevent erosion, and a retaining wall to protect his property.
Vermont Governor Shumlin, FCO Landry Break Ground on Vermont Psychiatric Hospital Construction Site - With shovels in hand, side-by-side, Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin and FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Mark Landry broke ground together on January 8.
Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov.
Employee News and Announcements
NEW! The FEMA Telework Manual 123-9-1 found on the FEMA intranet, provides guidance and policy direction for the administration, implementation, and oversight of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Telework Program. Please check with your Supervisor if you have questions.
Stay current with workplace transformation developments. Check the FEMA intranet regularly.
It’s not too late to get a flu shot! Message from the FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division.
New Ethics Division Assignments – message from Brad J. Kieserman, Chief Counsel.
Employee Benefits Update – Message from the Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer.
National Exercise and Simulation Center Supports Hurricane Sandy Response - The National Exercise and Simulation Center supported the National Response Coordination Center by providing supplemental facility and information technology resources to members of the Department of Defense Energy Restoration Taskforce, the tribal community, and the Red Cross.
Submarine Surfaces Memories for Sandy Disaster Worker - Working in the FEMA-state Disaster Recovery Center in Groton, Ct. was a trip down memory lane for Burley, Idaho, resident Marie Hanzel.
Region VI employees give back during holidays - FEMA Region VI, Denton, Texas, is observing an annual holiday tradition – buying gifts for “angels” on what’s called the “Cottonwood Angel Tree.” The angels are residents of the nearby Cottonwood Manor Nursing Home.
Logistics Supply Chain Management System Upgrade Goes Live - On January 18, 2013 FEMA Logistics will launch a major Logistics Supply Chain Management System technology upgrade that replaces multiple sub-systems with an integrated system that will provide access to a common data repository across applications.
Region 1 Local Hires – On Monday, January 7, James N. Russo, left, federal coordinating officer in charge of FEMA’s Hurricane Sandy response and recovery program in Rhode Island, swore in 6 new employees from The Ocean State.
Caesar Simulators Offer Complete Healthcare Training Experience - Simulating traumatic events in training is no easy task. FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP), located in Anniston, Ala., strives to be at the forefront of realistic instructional venues and recently adopted a new patient simulator called Caesar.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- NEW! The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies.
NEW! E536 – Performance Excellence Series Level I, “Representing the Agency” - Representing the Agency is a 4-day course designed to provide employees with techniques and tools to represent FEMA professionally.
E534 – Performance Excellence Series Level I, “Communications/Customer Services” - The Communications/Customer Service 4-day course is designed to provide the techniques and tools for oral and written communication necessary to meet and exceed performance expectations as a future leader.
- E526 – Performance Excellence Series Level II, “Communications/Customer Services” - The Communications/Customer Service 4-day course is designed to provide the techniques and tools for oral and written communication necessary to meet and exceed performance expectations as a future leader.
National Defense University, Program for Emerging Leaders - the National Defense University, Program for Emerging Leaders , sponsored by the National Defense University’s Center for the Study of Weapons of Mass Destruction.
NEW DEADLINE! FEMA Mentor Program – “Paying It Forward” - FEMA’s Mentor Program is designed to provide employees an opportunity to grow personally and professionally through a co-learning partnership with fellow colleagues to share aspirations and experiences.
Federal Acquisition Institute Training Application System - below is a list of Federal Acquisition Institute online and instructor-led courses for Contracting Officer Representatives.
DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program - The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the 2013 Fall cohorts of the DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program.
Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of Federal tax payer dollars.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
What We're Watching: 1/4/13 - At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297; or e-mail DHSOIGHOTLlNE@dhs.gov.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.