In case you missed it. FEMA Weekly Jan. 24, 2013
Detail and Rotational opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
This week's "Training Opportunity Spotlight" is the Program Analyst located in the Office of the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Office of Response and Recovery, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Department of Homeland Security.
Mandatory Transit Benefit Program re-certification - Beginning Feb. 1-15, FEMA’s Transit Subsidy Benefit Program will conduct its annual re-certification process. All FEMA employees participating in the transit program are required to re-certify by COB, Feb. 15. All changes will become effective April 1. Participants who do not re-certify will be withdrawn from the transit program. New employees who submitted a transit application in January are not required to re-certify.
From the field
Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov.
- Japanese volunteer “kenshin, hohshi” assists Hurricane Sandy survivors - If someone were describing Japanese teacher Yoko Ryan in her native language, the words kenshin (generous) and hohshi (giving) would have to be used.
- A San Francisco eighth grader, with a conscience for social justice, recently sent FEMA Region IX Administrator Nancy Ward a passionate letter expressing not only his dismay over recent cuts but a proposed solution to federal funding the food bank.
- Disaster Field Training Operation fully underway - The Disaster Field Training Operation unit at New Jersey’s joint field offices is fully underway offering a full complement of FEMA Qualification System and mission critical training opportunities to those deployed to DR-4086-NJ.
Employee News and Announcements
- 10th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy - Friday, Feb. 1, at 7:59 a.m., (CST), Region VI will observe a moment of silence in remembrance of the10th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy. The shuttle disintegrated over Texas and Louisiana during re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere claiming the lives of the seven astronauts on board.
- COOP and Devolution fall into the same category as insurance. They provide protection to us in the event that we (FEMA) are unable to perform our essential functions if our primary facilities are not functional. This can be from some type of disaster, or simply no power in a building, for a period of time.
- Center for Domestic Preparedness training could address a weakness they had identified in their ability to treat contaminated patients. The hospital system’s goal was to establish mobile decontamination teams based on CDP training.
- Firefighters proudly wear pink - The idea of wearing pink provided the Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center Fire Department with an opportunity to be fashionable in pink. The color pink has become symbolic with the fight against Breast Cancer, with pink ribbons on display everywhere from NFL stadiums to shopping malls and business across the nation. These ribbons serve as a reminder of the importance of regular breast exams.
- Apply today! Stay current with workplace transformation developments. Check the FEMA intranet regularly. The FEMA Telework Manual 123-9-1 found on the FEMA intranet provides guidance and policy direction for the administration, implementation, and oversight of FEMA’s telework program. Please check with your supervisor if you have questions.
- Hurricane Sandy Think Tank Timeline - Innovative response, recovery efforts during Hurricane Sandy. Please join officials from the White House Office of Public Engagement, Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Federal Emergency Management Agency for a Think Tank conference call on Feb. 6.
- Tech tips for Emergency Preparedness: Resolve to be ready this year when a disaster or You’re invited to join more than one million people who will Drop, Cover, and Hold On during the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Feb. 7 at 10:15 AM, local time. This regional earthquake drill will include participants across nine states (Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Tennessee). These states will practice what to do when an actual earthquake occurs.
- Tips for Flu Prevention Flu season had an early and significant start in many parts of the country. Individuals who received their flu shot early took the first and best preventive measure for fighting against the flu. There are still things you can do to protect yourself.
- It’s not too late to get a flu shot! Message from the FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Two program Analyst detail position - This position is located in the Office of the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Office of Response and Recovery, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Department of Homeland Security. Closing date is Feb. 17.
- Office of the Administrator Staff Assistant rotational position available. Serves as primary assistant and scheduler for the Deputy Administrator, scheduling meetings and appointments. Closing date is Feb. 8.
- USDA Executive Potential Program, GS-13 to GS-15 - Nomination Period Re-opened - The Executive Potential Program is hosted by the USDA Graduate School and is designed to enhance participant’s leadership effectiveness. The core curriculum is centered around the Office of Personnel Management’s Executive Core Qualifications with an emphasis on Leading Change. Nomination Deadline Feb. 8.
- Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses. Course dates: March 4-7.
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. Several course dates available.
- DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program - The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the 2013 Fall cohorts of the DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program. Application Deadline: Feb. 15
- d contribute to the Disaster Survivor Experience initiative. Closes: February 15, 2013
- Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of federal tax payer dollars.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25, 2013 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
The following Rotational appointments may be found at: Detail and Rotational opportunities
- Office of External Affairs, Preparedness Campaign Specialist, GS-9 to GS-13 -FEMA’s Ready Campaign is seeking an eager and dynamic individual to serve as a campaign specialist for its communications outreach activities related to FEMA's website for preparedness, Ready.gov. Closes Feb. 8
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Environmental Project Manager, GS-13 to GS-14 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA), is seeking a highly motivated GS-13/14 to serve as a FIMA National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Environmental Project Manager. The individual in this detail will report to the Deputy Associate Administrator for Insurance.
Closes: February 5, 2013
- Office of the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Office of Response and Recovery Program Analyst, GS-9 to GS-13 - The incumbent serves as a Program Analyst (GS-0343-9/11/12/13) to the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Senior Policy Advisor, and Executive Officer on disaster preparedness and response issues surrounding national disasters and emergencies.
Closes: February 17, 2013
- Office of the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Office of Response and Recovery - Program Analyst, GS-9 to GS-13 - The incumbents will serve as a Program Analysts (GS-0343-9 to GS-0343-13) for the Recovery Directorate as the Agency’s improves the disaster survivor experience. If you have recently served in a Community Relations or support role out in the field supporting disaster relief this rotation assignment will give you the opportunity to share your experience
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- What We're Watching: 1/25/13 - At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.