Sequestration Update: Memo from DHS Deputy Under Secretary for Management (Feb. 27, 2013)
FEMA will participate in National Telework week - FEMA employees are encouraged to meet with their supervisors and arrange to participate in the Third Annual Telework Week, March 4-8. Telework Week is an opportunity for employees who may not have had a chance to Telework, the opportunity to try it out, with their supervisor’s approval.
Message from Deputy Administrator Serino - By participating in National Telework Week you will help shape our ongoing workforce transformation efforts. Make the pledge to telework anytime from March 4-8, 2013.
From the Field
- FEMA holds workshops, Open House on flood maps - Nearly 500 residents from Galveston and Matagorda counties in Texas attended three scheduled public open houses recently to learn more about new proposed flood maps for their communities.
- FEMA archaeologists discover Indian Tribe artifacts - Archaeologists under contract to FEMA’s Louisiana Recovery Office recently found artifacts from early Indian Tribes as well as the colonial period while surveying land near Bayou St. John in New Orleans.
Employee News and Announcements
Fedtraveler.Com Notification : The FedTraveler.com booking and reservation system will undergo system maintenance on Sunday, March 3, 2013, from 12:01am EST to 5:00 am EST. During this time, users will be unable to access the booking and reservations component of FedTraveler.com, however, all other functions will be available. If you have questions, please call the Fedtraveler.com Helpdesk on 1-800-310-3169, Option 2.
- President taps FEMA attorney for promotion to Navy Reserve Rear Admiral - The legal counsel for the Center for Domestic Preparedness, who also serves in the Navy Reserve, has been nominated by President Obama for appointment to the rank of Rear Admiral and the duties of the Navy’s Vice Chief of Information, Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta announced earlier this month.
- Emergency Management Institute, voluntary organizations hold first joint training conference - The superintendent of FEMA’s Emergency Management Institute welcomed 100 Corporation for National and Community Service executive directors and Points of Light affiliates to a first-ever joint training conference in Emmitsburg, Md.
- FEMA reservists retires - After serving 13 years as a Public Assistance specialist and coordinator, a FEMA Reservist is tosses in the towel and will retire March 1.
- New Resource available for Mitigation Ideas - Mitigation Ideas: A Resource for Reducing Risk from Natural Hazards presents ideas for how to mitigate the impacts of different natural hazards, from drought and sea level rise, to severe winter weather and wildfire.
- Pledge to be ready for severe weather - We’re getting ready for National Severe Weather Preparedness Week - coming up on March 3-9. Much of the emergency management community will be getting the word out about staying safe from the kinds of severe weather that impact their communities, whether the threats are tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, or wildfires. You can also play an important role in spreading the message by taking the pledge to prepare at Ready.gov. And if you’re looking for resources to use when reaching out those in your community about getting prepared, there is a great toolkit on Ready.gov under the “Talk About Severe Weather” tab with everything you’ll need.
- Memo from FEMA Administrator W. Craig Fugate - Call for Nominations: White House Champions of Change. Individuals wishing to submit a nomination must complete the form and return it by Wednesday, March 6. To submit a nomination, please e-mail the form to FEMA-Sandy-Champions@fema.dhs.gov with the subject line “WH Champions of Change.”
FEMA Rotational Opportunities
Detail and Rotational opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
- New* Office of the Administrator, Center for Faith Based and Community Initiatives, Special Assistant, GS-9 to GS-13 - The DHS Center is pleased to announce the opening of 90-day detail opportunity for a dynamic, proactive person to assist the Director as Special Assistant. This person will work with the Director in a variety of special projects, attending meetings, and managing the Director’s calendar and travel. Closes: March 11
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist, GS-12 to GS-14 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-12/14 to serve as a Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist. Closes: March 16
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Assistant Program Manager, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Assistant Program Manager. Closes: March 16
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Program Specialist, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Program Specialist. Closes: March 16
Full descriptions of each of the rotation assignments are available on on.fema.net. Employees interested in applying for these rotations, should click on the link, “Apply for a Rotation Position” located on the upper right-hand side of the Detail & Rotation Opportunities page.
DHS Rotational Opportunities
- Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. The CISOMB is seeking individuals interested in a rotational assignment as a Program Assistant. Program Assistant’s will assist supervisors with identifying CISOMB database problems and reports problems for resolution. Works with the staff and management to identify and assist with correcting administrative and technical issues concerning office policies and procedures. To apply for DHS rotational opportunities visit DHSConnect.dhs.gov. Employees should review the announcement very carefully for specific instructions on eligibility and how to apply.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Leader Development Program has three workshops available - Great leaders leverage their power and authority to influence others. While authority and power may lead to compliance, a more powerful force - influence - leads to commitment.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E0176 Hazards United States Multi-Hazards for Floodplain Managers - This course provides in-depth instruction and hands-on exercises that develop the skills needed by Certified Floodplain Managers and other Emergency Planners to effectively use the HAZUS tools necessary for modeling the impacts on communities from riverine and coastal flooding.
- Announcement of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship Opportunity - The Office of the Secretary is pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the 2013 spring session of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship.
- Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses. Course dates: March 4-7.
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. Several course dates available.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25, 2013 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.