- Memo from FEMA Administrator W. Craig Fugate - Call for Nominations: White House Champions of Change
- Message from Deputy Administrator Serino By participating in National Telework Week you will help shape our ongoing workforce transformation efforts. Make the pledge to telework anytime from March 4-8, 2013.
- Communicating effectively with a virtual team, by Tonya Schreiber, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer and Program Manager for the Workplace Transformation initiative.
- National Telework Week, March 4-8, 2013 - Work Is What We Do, Not Where We Do It!
Please join us at one of the final two Workplace Transformation Town Hall Meetings, open to all FEMA employees.
Where: 500 C Street in the NRCC on the mezzanine level
When: Wednesday, February 27
9:00 a.m. – no conference bridge available
11:30 AM – 1-800-320-4330 Pin: 372018
What: A dialogue on what FEMA’s Mobile workforce will mean to you.
- Available IT Enablers
- Lessons Learned
From the Field
New York Sandy operation goes Green - Paper is a mainstay of FEMA disaster operations -- lots of paper. Following Hurricane Sandy, thousands of pieces of paper were being printed in the New York Joint Field Office every day.
Employee News and Announcements
- A scenario trainees hope to never face - Sirens wail as ambulances deliver more patients to the makeshift decontamination site set up outside the hospital’s emergency department entrance. Medics and hospital staffers race to triage the new patients. It’s a nightmare scenario that everyone prays will never happen, but must be prepared to face.
- Mount Weather conducts first pinning ceremony - Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center’s Emergency Services Division promoted three lieutenants to the rank of captain during a pinning ceremony held at the Mount Weather Balloon Shed, January 18.
- Visit the New Citizen Corps and CERT Web Pages - The Citizen Corps website and CERT web page have consolidated into two websites: FEMA.gov and Ready.gov.
- Agency salary - payment dates for calendar year 2013, federal holiday official pay dates - As a reminder, the official payment date of record with the Department of Treasury is the Thursday following National Finance Center's bi-weekly payroll processing.
- Guidance for inclement/hazardous weather, WebTA - According to the Office of Personnel Management’s Washington, Area Dismissal and Closure Procedures, employees may:
- Preparations for Potential Sequestration On March 1 - Last week, DHS circulated a memo to all employees titled, Preparations for Potential Sequestration on March 1. The purpose of the memo was to advise employees on the potential for cross-the-board budget cuts and the Department’s planning to execute such cuts.
Please submit all submissions to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov by COB Tuesday of each week.
FEMA Rotational Opportunities
Detail and Rotational opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
- New* Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist, GS-12 to GS-14 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-12/14 to serve as a Building Science Engineer/Architect/Physical Scientist. Closes: March 16
- New* Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Assistant Program Manager, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Assistant Program Manager. Closes: March 16
- New* Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration - Building Science Program Specialist, GS-11 to GS-13 - FEMA’s Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration, is seeking a highly motivated GS-11/13 to serve as a Building Science Program Specialist. Closes: March 16
- Office of Chief Counsel - Economist, GS-9 to GS-13 - Under varying levels of supervision, analyze regulatory actions in accordance with the principles and requirements outlined in Executive Order 12866 and 13563, Regulatory Flexibility Act, and OMB Circular A-4. Closes: March 1
- Office of Chief Counsel - Statistician - Statistician, GS-9 to GS-13 - Under varying levels of supervision, analyze regulatory actions in accordance with the principles and requirements outlined in Executive Order 12866 and 13563, Regulatory Flexibility Act, and OMB Circular A-4. Closes: March 1
- Office of External Affairs Public Affairs Specialist, GS-11 to GS-13 FEMA’s Public Affairs Division is looking for an energetic person to serve on its Internal Communications Team. This position would assist in the on-going development and support for the agency’s internal communication efforts. The position will provide great experience in drafting written materials and learning how to incorporate the tools of digital communications (including web and social media platforms). Closes: Feb. 28
Full descriptions of each of the rotation assignments are available on on.fema.net. Employees interested in applying for these rotations, should click on the link, “Apply for a Rotation Position” located on the upper right-hand side of the Detail & Rotation Opportunities page.
DHS Rotational Opportunities
- Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. The CISOMB is seeking individuals interested in a rotational assignment as a Program Assistant. Program Assistant’s will assist supervisors with identifying CISOMB database problems and reports problems for resolution. Works with the staff and management to identify and assist with correcting administrative and technical issues concerning office policies and procedures. Collaborates with the clerical personnel to improve inquiry and data collection methods for entry into Intranet Quorum and CAADI databases, and demonstrates knowledge of all office policies and procedures. To apply for DHS rotational opportunities visit DHSConnect.dhs.gov. Employees should review the announcement very carefully for specific instructions on eligibility and how to apply.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Leader Development Program has three workshops available - Great leaders leverage their power and authority to influence others. While authority and power may lead to compliance, a more powerful force - influence - leads to commitment.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E0176 Hazards United States Multi-Hazards for Floodplain Managers - This course provides in-depth instruction and hands-on exercises that develop the skills needed by Certified Floodplain Managers and other Emergency Planners to effectively use the HAZUS tools necessary for modeling the impacts on communities from riverine and coastal flooding.
- Announcement of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship Opportunity - The Office of the Secretary is pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the 2013 spring session of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship.
- Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses. Course dates: March 4-7.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25, 2013 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk@fema.dhs.gov and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov by COB Tuesday.