Message from Tonya Schreiber, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer and Program Manager for the Workplace Transformation initiative.
The Workplace Transformation Town Hall Meetings Have Begun - This week three Town Hall meetings were conducted for managers and supervisors. These meetings provided an overview on the future of the “mission-centric” mobile work environment and aimed at addressing misconceptions supervisors and managers may have -- especially as they guide their staffs through this transition.
Please submit all submissions to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov by COB Tuesday of each week.
Employee News and Announcements
- Administrator Craig Fugate - spoke to a group of training and education representatives who were gathered for the First Annual Internal Training Integration Workshop held Feb. 5 – 7 at the Emergency Management Institute.
- Join us for Telework Week 2013. Mobile Work Exchange will host the third annual Telework Week. Telework Week is a week-long, global effort to encourage agencies, organizations, and individuals to pledge to telework. For additional information please visit Mobileworkexchange.
- Community Relations - has proven to be a great asset supporting disaster survivors and operations. One of the great innovations from this past disaster included the ability of deployed teams to meet disaster survivors in their community and assist with registration and status inquiries for Individual Assistance.
- Department of Homeland Security announces new “Know Before You Go” traveler facilitation website - To better serve the traveling public, Department of Homeland Security is developing the “Know Before You Go” website to address common traveler questions like what items can pass through Transportation Security Administration checkpoints, tips when traveling across the U.S. border, and information for travelers with special needs.
- 2013 Annual Payroll updates and W-2 availability - The 2013 taxable earnings year is from pay period 26, beginning Dec. 16, 2012, through pay period 24, ending Dec. 13, 2013. See link for available payroll calendar NFC.USDA.gov.
- Guidance for restoration of 2012 forfeited annual leave - This document serves as guidance for timekeepers, employees and supervisors regarding forfeiture and restoration of annual leave for the year of 2012 which ended on Jan. 12.
- Preparations for Potential Sequestration On March 1 - Last week, DHS circulated a memo to all employees titled, Preparations for Potential Sequestration on March 1. The purpose of the memo was to advise employees on the potential for cross-the-board budget cuts and the Department’s planning to execute such cuts.
- The FedTraveler.com booking and reservation system will undergo system maintenance on Sunday, Feb. 17, from 12:01 to 5:00 a.m. EST. During this time, users will be unable to access the booking and reservations component of FedTraveler.com, however, all other functions will be available.
- It’s not too late to get a flu shot! Message from the FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
Detail and Rotational opportunities - The FEMA Internal Rotation Program is a professional development program designed to engage and strengthen the FEMA workforce. The breadth and depth of an employee’s organizational knowledge will be enhanced as he/she participates in the Rotation Program.
- New* Office of Chief Counsel - Economist, GS-9 to GS-13 - Under varying levels of supervision, analyze regulatory actions in accordance with the principles and requirements outlined in Executive Order 12866 and 13563, Regulatory Flexibility Act, and OMB Circular A-4. Closes: March 1
- New* Office of Chief Counsel - Statistician, GS-9 to GS-13 - Under varying levels of supervision, analyze regulatory actions in accordance with the principles and requirements outlined in Executive Order 12866 and 13563, Regulatory Flexibility Act, and OMB Circular A-4. Closes: March 1
- Office of External Affairs Deputy Director of Public Affairs, GS-14 to GS-15. FEMA’s Office of Public Affairs is looking for an energetic person to assist the Division of Public Affairs Director and key staff officials. Closes: March 15
- New* Office of External Affairs Public Affairs Specialist, GS-11 to GS-13 FEMA’s Public Affairs Division is looking for an energetic person to serve on its Internal Communications Team. This position would assist in the on-going development and support for the agency’s internal communication efforts. The position will provide great experience in drafting written materials and learning how to incorporate the tools of digital communications (including web and social media platforms). Closes: Feb. 28
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E0176 Hazards United States Multi-Hazards for Floodplain Managers - This course provides in-depth instruction and hands-on exercises that develop the skills needed by Certified Floodplain Managers and other Emergency Planners to effectively use the HAZUS tools necessary for modeling the impacts on communities from riverine and coastal flooding.
- Announcement of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship Opportunity - The Office of the Secretary is pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the 2013 spring session of the DHS Efficiency Review Fellowship.
- Two program Analyst detail position - This position is located in the Office of the Assistant Administrator for the Recovery Directorate, Office of Response and Recovery, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Department of Homeland Security. Closing date is Feb. 17.
- Course: B449 Incident Command System Curricula Train-The-Trainer - this course is designed to prepare instructors to deliver Incident Command System related training courses. Course dates: March 4-7.
- The Fundamentals of Leadership is Now Accepting Registrations! - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. Several course dates available.
- DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program - The Career Development and Training Branch is accepting nominations for the 2013 Fall cohorts of the DHS Master’s Degree Program and Executive Leaders Program. Application Deadline: Feb. 15
- Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of federal tax payer dollars.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25, 2013 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- What We're Watching: 02/07/13 - At the end of each week, we post a "What We’re Watching" blog as we look ahead to the weekend and recap events from the week. We encourage you to share it with your friends and family, and have a safe weekend.
- A Groundhog Day Message from FEMA: Stay Prepared for Weather Changes Year-Round
- Changing laws for the better - recognizing tribal sovereignty
Fraud, Waste and Abuse
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk@fema.dhs.gov and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov by COB Tuesday.