Administrator’s Awards Ceremony
The 2012 Administrator’s Awards Ceremony was held on December 6, 2012 in Washington D.C. The complete ceremony was captured on video and has been placed in the FEMA Multimedia Library. The awards recognized individual and team achievements in the Exemplary Emergency Manager, Outstanding Survivor Service, or Innovation categories.
“Everything in our core is about serving our country and our fellow countrymen in their time of need. So these awards are often times small recognition. As one said, as they talk about people who win awards of valor on the battlefield and you ask those people about it, you know, everybody on that battlefield should have gotten an award. So I congratulate the recipients, but I also know that there are a lot of people here every day doing the work deserving of awards.” Administrator Craig Fugate, Dec. 6, 2012
* Fedtraveler.Com Notification - FedTraveler.com will undergo scheduled maintenance and upgrades on Saturday, Dec. 8, from 11 p.m. to 10 a.m. EST Sunday, Dec. 9. The service will be unavailable for use during this 11 hour time frame. We apologize for any inconvenience to our user community. If you have questions, please call the Fedtraveler.com helpdesk at 1-800-310-3169, Option 2, Deborah Brown at 202-646-3856 or Kathy Ballard at 202-646-3396.
Mandatory Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38
This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of Federal tax payer dollars. This training is in line with the Administrator’s priorities and can be found on FEMA’s Employee Knowledge Center at http://kc.fema.net/.
To ensure we remain vigilant, this training is mandatory for all Agency members and is to be completed by December 31, 2012. With the fast approaching holidays and with the many recent disasters, we strongly encourage everyone that has not taken the training to take 20-30 minutes and complete the training at your earliest convenience. If you have questions you can email: Rodolfo.Vinas@fema.dhs.gov Phone: (407) 854-4338.
From the field
- New York City Fire Department (FDNY) valiantly kept their state-of-the-art emergency response ship protected during Hurricane Sandy and extended their hospitality to dozens of FEMA’s community relations teams.
- From North Dakota to New York, the long road for one Community Relations Specialist.
- From a warm bed to a cargo ship, a firsthand account from a surge team member - because of the magnitude of the population affected by Hurricane Sandy, the Department of Homeland Security activated its Surge Capacity Force for the first time on Nov. 1.
- Citizen Corps Volunteers Make a Difference in the Wake of Hurricane Sandy - Alongside interagency, state, local, and volunteer partners, FEMA and the emergency management team are working long hours each day to ensure the needs of communities affected by Sandy are identified and addressed.
Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly@fema.dhs.gov.
Employee News and Announcements
- Message from DHS Secretary Napolitano: Critical Infrastructure Protection And Resilience Month
- Welcome Aboard - James (Jim) Smith named as new Superintendent for the Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) in Anniston, AL.
- 2012 Combined Federal Campaign message from Ernie Mitchell - U.S. Fire Administrator and 2012 CFC Campaign Manager.
- 2012 Employee Viewpoint Survey Results - The results are now available on the DHS Connect website. More than 2,800 FEMA employees participated in the survey, providing us with an opportunity to hear from a significant portion of our workforce.
- Rhode Island Narragansett Indian Tribe meets with FEMA - representatives of FEMA and the Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency meet with Narragansett Indian Tribe’s Assistant Director.
- News and Events with the Small Business Administration
- View Video - the Small Business Administration is a major partner with FEMA which offers low-interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters and business of all sizes.
- Business Continuity strategies offered at free Small Business Association/Agility Webinar - Get tips on how to avoid making the mistakes that could cause you to lose your hard-earned assets.
- FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer meets with SBA Director - Karen Mills, Administrator for the U.S. Small Business Administration, met with FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Nick Russo.
- 2013 highlights, changes for Thrift Savings Plan’s contribution, IRS limits.
- Dec. 10 Deadline! 2012 Annual Open Season Election (Benefits)
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Mandatory Training: Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training Module, IS-38 - This message is a follow-up to an earlier message announcing the launch of a Fraud Awareness and Prevention Training course; designed to enhance our efforts in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse as good stewards of Federal tax payer dollars.
- Dec. 14 Deadline! The President’s Management Council Interagency Rotation Program
- Deadline today! DHS Career Pathways Programs Seeking Mentors
- Deadline today! Executive Potential Program - USDA Graduate School.
- December 10-14, 2012 Human Resources for Managers and Supervisors - meet developmental obligations.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- Flu Shot Locations - FEMA Occupational Safety, Health and Medical Readiness Division
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted.